Discussion topic: Sporadic partial internet outage with FTTP

This message was authored by RO55 This message was authored by: RO55

Sporadic partial internet outage with FTTP

Basically:

Using UDM PRO plugged straight into ONT, with option 61 set, this gives me a WAN ip and internet connectivity... BUT

The internet can only load things like youtube, google and websites. Downloads, speed tests or steam simply do not work and "time out" which seems like a dns issue, this is the same for multiple devices, wired and wireless.

Then for whatever reason it goes back to downloading at full 1Gbps for a couple of minutes where everything works and then loops, back to "timing out" and only being able to search google, watch youtube etc.

I have tried the original SKY Q router, but I see a maximum of 500-600 mbps when on a speedtest and I don't seem to get the download errors though the speeds are quite a bit lower than the 900 for my package. 

My internet was only installed today, but its mighty frustrating, any help would be greatly appreciated 

Best Answers
This message was authored by JimM1 This message was authored by: JimM1 Answer

Re: Sporadic partial internet outage with FTTP

@RO55 Put the sky router back on the system, leave it for a couple of days until the fttp settles, go check the broadband shield settings in the account and adjust as you require. Then move to your other system, once you know it is stable.

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by JimM1 This message was authored by: JimM1 Answer

@RO55 Put the sky router back on the system, leave it for a couple of days until the fttp settles, go check the broadband shield settings in the account and adjust as you require. Then move to your other system, once you know it is stable.

RO55
Topic Author

Thanks Jim, will do that and report back my findings

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

FTTP does not require settling in, it either works or it doesnt. Also broadband shield is not a factor when the Sky hub is not in place.

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
RO55
Topic Author

Funnily enough until now I would have agreed with you, but after leaving it 2 ish weeks and plugging it straight into my UDM pro I'm getting a solid 965 mbps download which actually makes sense, as the  1500 mtu will be taking up the rest of the 30 ish meg loss(3.5%).

Its most likely just because I tried on the same day as the line got installed. Plus, I am the first person on my road with fibre and the first connection to the entire backbone to the CBT, which in this case, it may have needed a day or two to settle.

In any case, thanks for the replies and the help

This message was authored by JimM1 This message was authored by: JimM1

@RO55 Glad its all worked out for you 👍. Jim

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion