Discussion topic: Small home rack TP link devices

This message was authored by FinnieFinFin This message was authored by: FinnieFinFin

Small home rack TP link devices

This may not be of any help since I dont own these devices "yet" but I need to replace the sky Hub 4 wireless router for the TP VPN Router

Here are the following hardware's I have ready on order

• TP-Link VPN router ER605
  • TL-SG2008P 8 port (4poe) switch
  • TL-SG108E 8 port vlans
  • TL-SG2210MP 10 port gig (8poe)
  • TP-Link Omada Hardware Controller
  • TP-Link N300 Wireless Outdoor Access Point
  • TP-Link N300 Wireless Ceiling Mount OR TP-Link Omada AC1200 wireless wall mount

Please advise me if im going wrong with these for the intended purpose of owning my own managed short stack

What cables will I need, what rack will I need, are these devices correct or do I need to take some away and replace with something you feel would benefit me better in security features and monitoring traffic etc 

Thank you

All Replies

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Re: Small home rack TP link devices

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@FinnieFinFin 

You need to find out from TP-Link as to whether the ER605 VPN router can authenticate via DHCP Option 61 as this is required to connect to Sky's servers. In the past I've found TP-Link routers can be hit or miss when connecting to Sky lines. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
FinnieFinFin
Topic Author
This message was authored by FinnieFinFin This message was authored by: FinnieFinFin

Thank you for your swift response

I'll contact them now

FinnieFinFin
Topic Author

Hi James,

I spoke to someone in the business from TP and she said they dont allow or support 61...

However she did say it's possible to change the subnet!

Sky is set at -- 192.168.1.1

TP would then need to be 192.168.0.1 or can I choose my own proxy address? 10.10.0.1 or better still 10.10.0.10/24 or something along those lines?

FinnieFinFin
Topic Author

Hi James

I spoke to online chat this time and they will be calling me back in less than an hour or could be sooner

What the online chat rep did say is the subnet can be changed even to the 10.10.0.10 and allowing me to have static IP for 1-9 and from 10-200+ or whatever for allocated IOT devices such as my IP cam, tablet, PC etc

I can also customise the traffic and how much data and bandwith is used for each device from the controller.

However, I do fancy pfsense and prefer to run everything through this

I ma be slightly confused with what does what but if ou can put me in the right direction and what best otions to go for in regards to firmware for each device settings, plz let me know

Thank you

@FinnieFinFin 

You can do that but the problem is if you keep the Sky hub in the loop then you will suffer double NAT and all your traffic is still going through the limitations of the Sky hub. In an ideal setup you'd want to eliminate the Sky hub completely. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
FinnieFinFin
Topic Author

dang! 

the subnet was the onlyy option right?

If I eliminate sky completely I will need to change ISP that allows TP link devices to run and i dont know any other ISP out there that allows this?

Im confused now...><

FinnieFinFin
Topic Author

I just thought...bridge mode!

@FinnieFinFin 

No, you dont change ISPs, you stop using the Sky hub and configure your 3rd party router to authenticate on your existing Sky line. You'd still be using the service you pay for, just not via the Sky hub.

The Sky hub doesnt have bridge mode. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
FinnieFinFin
Topic Author

oh no...but TP said they dont authenticate DHCP 61....im screwed

@FinnieFinFin wrote:

oh no...but TP said they dont authenticate DHCP 61....im screwed

In that case you'd need to choose a different manufacturer like Netgear or Asus. Or alternatively switch ISPs to one that doesnt require DHCP Option 61, E.g. EE, Vodafone, BT, Plusnet etc.

I am NOT a Sky Employee
FinnieFinFin
Topic Author

Thank you James!

Much appreciated sir 🙂

FinnieFinFin
Topic Author

DHCP OPTION 61

I've posted a recent thread about the difficulties TP link VPN ER605 was having authenticating sky's DHCP 61 

I think Jamesn123 helped me with questions related to this issue and since then found some more threads related to the same if not similar issue I was facing

In the past few days of nearly giving up on my little home rack I was given help in that the username and password for sky's client identifier exists and I have the details but not confident to post incase im breaching terms and conditions.

This username and password is most likely what I need to enter in the field for the TP link VPN, im not sure.

If anyone has already done this with their TP link VPN please let me know what credentials you put in to gain access to sky's DHCP 61.

Thank you

Re: DHCP OPTION 61

@FinnieFinFin 

Its not against T&Cs to post it. The logon string you need is abc123@skydsl|abc123

I am NOT a Sky Employee
FinnieFinFin
Topic Author

Re: DHCP OPTION 61

Afternoon James,

I take it I should just go ahead and buy all of the TP link devices Im trying to manage and use the login string you gave me so I can gain access to the DHCP 61

I spoke to someone today over the phone about this and she is looking into this for me and gave her some helpful YT names of what im trying to accomplish 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdEcQaS6Gew

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBtPme0RQ2U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7OHR1sseLs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6L_ULk8elTM

These seem close to what im trying to do and if you have time to watch these or understand what im trying to do, hopefully you can set me up with the right tools, devices and helpful tips and tricks to avoid issues with this darn DHCP 61 or hopefully not have any issues with that string 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion