Discussion topic: Slow gigafast WiFi Sr203/4

This message was authored by BAKER126 This message was authored by: BAKER126

Slow gigafast WiFi Sr203/4

Hope you can help I am on gigafast Broadband and I am receiving .... Gigabit download via ethernet 

16957319837604499557922196504334.jpg

 however standing next to the router I only get .....

Screenshot_20230926_133027_Speedtest.jpg

As it looks like I am getting my speed via ethernet I can't complain much... But the WiFi gets weaker around the house not reaching 150mbps...

Is it the router that's not good enough?

All Replies

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Re: Slow gigafast WiFi Sr203/4

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@BAKER126 

474mbps over WiFi is very good you'll likely not see much faster than that without a WiFi 6 router or even with one.

The Gigafast product is designed to serve many clients at once with UHD streaming speeds, not for a single device to run a speedtest at 1gbps.

If you want faster WiFi speeds you'll need to purchase a 3rd party WiFi 6 router or the Sky Max subscription which comes with a WiFi 6 router and then use an accompanying WiFi 6 compatible device.

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
This message was authored by simon194 This message was authored by: simon194

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@jamesn123 wrote:

@BAKER126 

474mbps over WiFi is very good you'll likely not see much faster than that without a WiFi 6 router or even with one.

The Gigafast product is designed to serve many clients at once with UHD streaming speeds, not for a single device to run a speedtest at 1gbps.

If you want faster WiFi speeds you'll need to purchase a 3rd party WiFi 6 router or the Sky Max subscription which comes with a WiFi 6 router and then use an accompanying WiFi 6 compatible device.

There's always the Wifi 6 access point option which will be cheaper than a router especially if you want to keep the phone service.

The problem with all of this is that we are being told after buying and installing a service that it will not perform anywhere near the headline speed. Excuses are given which are plain unacceptable. If a product is advertised at a specific specification as is the Gigafast service then the onus is on the supplier to inform customers about information that could influence their decision to buy. This would fall under that category under the Consumer Rights Act. It is for Sky to ensure that it provides the necessary equipment to use the service. If Sky cannot do that then the Company must explain. The Company must point out specifically any terms that it believes absolves it from responsibility to provide a service near enough in accordance with the advertised service.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion