Discussion topic: Slow FTTP speeds - Sky Gigafast

This message was authored by Eddie+Jr. This message was authored by: Eddie+Jr.

Slow FTTP speeds - Sky Gigafast

Hey guys!, I'm hoping someone can shine some light on my issue.

I'm currently in a fight with sky to sort out my speeds as they could be breaching contract terms.

I'm only getting 160mbps MAX on a wired connection through Cat7a. I'm pretty tech savvy when it comes to these things so I've made sure that I'm doing it right.

Weird thing is my upload speeds are amazing. 112mbps even though sky say 90mbps

I've just replaced the SR203 router with a Asus RT-AX88u and I'm still getting the same 160mbps on speed tests. - Speedtest.net, Fast.com and a few others

Tests over Wi-Fi 6 are giving me 150 - 165mbps and that's it

When downloading games through Blizzard, Steam or origin I'm getting 20 - 22 MB/s [Cat 7A Wired with a 10GB network card]

On my sky app with the sky router connected it's telling me that I'm getting 900mbps to the hub. However from the hub to devices over hardwire it's nowhere near that.

Openreach have done a live fibre test and told sky that everything is FINE and that is why I've put in a complaint as it's not fine

What can I do?, I told sky I'm leaving and they said I have to pay exit fees as everything is fine apparently.

Just to add, Where i work i had a customer come in who's an Openreach engineer and he said he mate signed up to BT 900 around my area and he get's 930mbps SOLID over WI-FI .... That would be nice because all sky does is piggyback off BT's gear in the exchange

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FTTP [900] - Asus RT AX88U --- Main router, D7000 --- Wireless extender
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Best Answers
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood Answer

Re: Slow FTTP speeds - Sky Gigafast

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Eddie+Jr. wrote:

Just to add, Where i work i had a customer come in who's an Openreach engineer and he said he mate signed up to BT 900 around my area and he get's 930mbps SOLID over WI-FI ....

Not off a BT Smart Hub 2 though, which are still 802.11ac rather than 802.11ax, and probably not a couple of walls away either.  WiFi obeys laws of physics no matter which brand-name is on the box.

That would be nice because all sky does is piggyback off BT's gear in the exchange

To be precise, BT Broadband and Sky Broadband, like most other ISPs, use Openreach/BT Wholesale distribution hardware and cabling.

There have been similar posts, so it's worth persisting, but be aware that frontline support staff can only go by what their systems are telling them: the absence of a useful throughput speed reading from a Hub on FTTP is becoming increasingly problematic.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by TechmanagerMal This message was authored by: TechmanagerMal

@Eddie+Jr. wrote:

Hey guys!, I'm hoping someone can shine some light on my issue.

I'm currently in a fight with sky to sort out my speeds as they could be breaching contract terms.

I'm only getting 160mbps MAX on a wired connection through Cat7a. I'm pretty tech savvy when it comes to these things so I've made sure that I'm doing it right.

Weird thing is my upload speeds are amazing. 112mbps even though sky say 90mbps

I've just replaced the SR203 router with a Asus RT-AX88u and I'm still getting the same 160mbps on speed tests. - Speedtest.net, Fast.com and a few others

Tests over Wi-Fi 6 are giving me 150 - 165mbps and that's it

When downloading games through Blizzard, Steam or origin I'm getting 20 - 22 MB/s [Cat 7A Wired with a 10GB network card]

On my sky app with the sky router connected it's telling me that I'm getting 900mbps to the hub. However from the hub to devices over hardwire it's nowhere near that.

Openreach have done a live fibre test and told sky that everything is FINE and that is why I've put in a complaint as it's not fine

What can I do?, I told sky I'm leaving and they said I have to pay exit fees as everything is fine apparently.

Just to add, Where i work i had a customer come in who's an Openreach engineer and he said he mate signed up to BT 900 around my area and he get's 930mbps SOLID over WI-FI .... That would be nice because all sky does is piggyback off BT's gear in the exchange

Passing on the tips I have learned in over 24 years as a more than satisfied Sky customer.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood Answer

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Eddie+Jr. wrote:

Just to add, Where i work i had a customer come in who's an Openreach engineer and he said he mate signed up to BT 900 around my area and he get's 930mbps SOLID over WI-FI ....

Not off a BT Smart Hub 2 though, which are still 802.11ac rather than 802.11ax, and probably not a couple of walls away either.  WiFi obeys laws of physics no matter which brand-name is on the box.

That would be nice because all sky does is piggyback off BT's gear in the exchange

To be precise, BT Broadband and Sky Broadband, like most other ISPs, use Openreach/BT Wholesale distribution hardware and cabling.

There have been similar posts, so it's worth persisting, but be aware that frontline support staff can only go by what their systems are telling them: the absence of a useful throughput speed reading from a Hub on FTTP is becoming increasingly problematic.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Pikapika This message was authored by: Pikapika

Similar story, just joined with ultrafast1 from bt fttp. 

line speed is supposed to be 145-150, but any Speedtest I run wireless or wired starts at about 30 and then ramps up to 150 if I am lucky usually 130 by the time test finishes. With bt fttp (even though they are on the same Openreach network) full 900 all the time, no ramping up of speed whatsoever. (Using Speedtest.net)

is this normal for sky ultra fast ? I had presumed it was going to be the same as it was all open reach but now considering giving notice before my 30 days is up..

any one have any thoughts on what the issue might be?

is there anyway to see what throughput tests sky can do on their end?

Eddie+Jr.
Topic Author

Not sure what it was but I went active with BT today just ran some tests, 

Wireless (RT AX88u) - Speedtest.com - 830 - 910mbps 112mbps Up

Wired - Speedtest.com 934mbps 115mbps Up

Consistently getting the exact same results give or take a few mbps.

On my sky connection I wasn't seeing any higher than 200mbps wired or wireless. 

This message was authored by TechmanagerMal This message was authored by: TechmanagerMal

@Eddie+Jr. wrote:

Not sure what it was but I went active with BT today just ran some tests, 

Wireless (RT AX88u) - Speedtest.com - 830 - 910mbps 112mbps Up

Wired - Speedtest.com 934mbps 115mbps Up

Consistently getting the exact same results give or take a few mbps.

On my sky connection I wasn't seeing any higher than 200mbps wired or wireless. 

Do me a favour and run your tests with fast.com - do a few and see if they are massively inconsistent or if it is just me. Thanks in advance.

Passing on the tips I have learned in over 24 years as a more than satisfied Sky customer.

see attached. Note the curve on the speedtest.net green line which is the download and compare with the upload. 

on bt or Vodafone that green line is usually a initial burst up to peak and then straight line from there all the way. 

264DE144-575C-45DB-983E-3E75B76E9C5B.jpeg

and from fast.com

68394B9D-A545-49DF-8122-929DD6992BD5.jpeg

Eddie+Jr.
Topic Author

Tested 6 times, Nothing else on the network apart from the PC.

Fast.com:

1. 915 down 112 up

2. 923 down 113 up

3. 913 down 113 up

4. 924 down 110 up

5. 920 down 113 up

6. 923 down 112 up

Also swapped out the sky router for a different one. Same difference the slow ramp up.

Sky q box is no longer on thé network. Will run some more tests a bit later

This message was authored by DiavelDes This message was authored by: DiavelDes

Interesting I joined Sky FTTP 6 days ago and have exactly the same symptoms.  150mb Service on a 900mb+ capable line, when I run a speed test I get an initial 25 - 30 mb speed which then ramps up to 150 at best by the end of the test. I have exactly the same setup as I had with BT except for the Sky v BT router. I run a Ubiquity Dream Machine Pro behind the Sky router but initially it would not pass Internet to the Dream Machine without some setup changes despite it working fine with the BT equipment. Did you manage to resolve your issue? 

This message was authored by Anonymous This message was authored by: Anonymous

Exactly the same issue. A slow start to the test which then ramps up. Sky is doing something fishy here, like some kind of detection. My guess is, and call me a conspiracy theorist if you like. They have some system that detects you're running a speed test and then ramps the speed up. But anything else it'll just stay at the low speed. Like everything I tru to download comes down at like 4MB/s which is consistent with the initial speed of those tests. Interestingly, when routing from another network it doesn't ramp up, just stays at that initial low speed.

All of this is terribly suspicious and I am smelling shenanigans from Sky here. Unless this behaviour stops I'm going to activate my cool-off period clause and switch.

Interesting you had the same issue. The issue eventually resolved itself.

now 150mb straight away and a 4ms ping time. 

the tech I spoke with said it was the DLM training period. I tried after the two week he said it would take and it was still the same. Anyway long story short, I checked again in the third week I think and hey Presto. 

ps unifi kit won't slow the connection down. Only thing really is the sky q box that might slow things down.

we did have a 2hr outage one night and then it as fast as it was in BT.

so no idea what fixed it and why the actual issue was. DLM sounds probable but as a previous post also suggests is that is more for dsl than fttp.

let me know how you get on.

Setup with any 3rd party router is reasonably straight forward, just turn the dhcp off and set static addresses. On thé 3rd party router set it's wan to be static and give it one of the addresses in the range you define on the sky router.

of course if you don't need the phone service, you can ditch the sky router all together. There are plenty of guides just search for 3rd party router with Sky.

This message was authored by L.C. This message was authored by: L.C.

I'd personally be asking to get a replacement hub sent out so you can test it and compare. It could well be a faulty hub just not providing the right throughput. 

I have Ultrafast + and constantly get 500mbps with my hub 4.2z

This message was authored by DiavelDes This message was authored by: DiavelDes

Cheers for the replies. Sky wouldn't even look into our issues unless I removed my Dream Machine Pro and have my kit connected directly. I refused as the unifi kit was bought after having my computer hacked and attempts to steal my identy.

I know the Unfi kit is rated for far more than the 150mb we are paying for but they just said the router was reporting no issues. The unifi kit is doing daily checks esy morning and they range from 90mb to 0. We've already arranged to move back to BT as we never had an issue with them. The hassle wasn't worth the money we were saving and buying a 3rd party router would wipe out that saving anyway.

Cheers for the replies and apologies for the delay getting back to you. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion