Discussion topic: Sky missold renewal and halved my download speed from 71+ to less than 30mps

This message was authored by Jojo84 This message was authored by: Jojo84

Sky missold renewal and halved my download speed from 71+ to less than 30mps

recently recieved my upcoming contract renewal banner reads said in bold RENEW NOW AND SAVE £17 a month  and an option to click and renew directly underneath it but down in the small print it was acuatlly doubly my monthly contract , 

I am physically dissabled and my partner has mental health problems when we tried to contact sky we were unable to escalate my  complaint being lied to and cold dropped bacxk into the call que then when we got another agent they fixed this issue and added an extra room however without explaining any pro rata charges or that they had not renewed us they had just cancelled our contract and started us on a new contract now 2 days later i have found out that they have halved my internet speed as part of this new contract then they took a £50 delivery charge for the new room box only to be told that they had put it on next months bill  so no card charge I asked why they took my card details(my partners new card details) they said sometimes they offer the choice to just put it on the bill so no payment taken.................actually they took the payment AND put the charge on next months bill (as well as the previously undiscussed pro rata charges) which i beleive so far that they have broken the consumer contracts regulations for distance selling regulations in the UK, commited fraud and commited Theft from 2 vulnerable people.

so now they have ........

1. mislead a renewal (we have the original email offer as proof)

2.thursday june 22nd the agent lied and cold dropped us back into the que when I tried to escalate a complaint

3.thursday june 22nd the second agent basically said anything to get us off the phone by giving an offer that was only just slightly more than our original contracts and agreed to let us keep our original contract at only like an extra £12 a month instead of saving us £17 a month but get an extra room free from monthly charge as long as we £50 deliverly charge 

4. saturday june 24ththe 3rd agent took my partners card details to take that payment and thebn asked if we just wanted it putting on our bill and that they had not actually taken the card payment , I double checked what they had done as thought it was odd taking his card details but not taking a payment.

now it is sunday june 25th and it turns out my upload download speed has been reduced from a constant 71+mps download and 36mps upload to 30 download and 9 upload also that they have inded taken £50 from my partners acount as well as put the same £50 onto next months bill 

THEFT AND FRAUD

Moderator comments: edited title 

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: Sky missold renewal and halved my download speed from 71+ to less than 30mps

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Jojo84 

The speed reduction suggests the cost saving was at least partly achieved by moving provision from 'Superfast' to 'Superfast 35'.  The 'delivery charge' indicates it was set up as a new account, presumably in a different name, which is frankly somewhat dubious.

I'd also caution that an advertised £17 pcm for broadband is likely to be the monthly cost only for the remainder of this year: it does indeed then double for the balance of the minimum contract term because £17 for FTTC would be below wholesale cost price to an ISP.

If you believe you were miss-sold then you need to contact Sky directly and have the situation redressed: posting here won't achieve that.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: Sky missold renewal and halved my download speed from 71+ to less than 30mps

@Jojo84 

Incidentally you were almost certainly never getting 36Mbs outbound: the two flavours of FTTC are 'up to' 80/20 and 40/10 Mbs.

@Jojo84 wrote:

then they took a £50 delivery charge for the new room box

Ah, I see: that's a Mini box for Sky Q television, and not related to broadband.

It's extremely unlikely that you'd get the required Multiscreen subscription to use a Q Mini 'free' for an 18 month term:  £12 pcm would be a reduced rate.

@Jojo84 

I think what they've done is conflated broadband with television, moved broadband to a lower speed tier to achieve a cost reduction (or possibly, as you mentioned health issues, changed the account to a Social Tariff which has the same effect of cost/speed reduction) , and then bundled Multiscreen at a reduced rate.  If this is not what you wanted then you should request that the call is reviewed, but I'd caution that using words like 'theft' and 'fraud' is not particularly productive: such changes might be applied with the best intentions.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion