Discussion topic: Sudden internet blackout

This message was authored by lem3k This message was authored by: lem3k

Sudden internet blackout

We've had our service installed less than 48 hours and today have had a sudden full internet blackout. No phone, broadband, or wifi and all Q boxes show an X next to network connection.

The hub was showing 3 green lights and one amber (on voice).
The service status page on sky says "issue detected in your area", but when I go through to check status it says "the page you are looking for cannot be found". If I run the "check my products" options and run the broadband test then everything comes back as being fine(?) and says there aren't any outages - despite us clearly having no internet.

Restarting the hub seems to have resolved for now, but I'm concerned this has happened so soon after signing up and all the 'help' information contradicted itself before leading to a dead end without actually providing any support.
Is there a better way to get through to someone for help in these circumstances? Are these disconnections normal?

All Replies

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Re: Sudden internet blackout

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@lem3k certain faults in Sky's network of a radius server failure can cause the conditions you describe  fortunately they are rare and a hub reboot usually connects you to a different physical unit. Sounds like bad luck 

Running the connection test requires a connection to your hub so fails if there is no link. Running the test over a mobile connection will tell you if there is a known issue but further tests needs the hub to repond. 

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
lem3k
Topic Author

Thanks. The odd thing was the connection test was coming back fine, despite us having no connection.
I'll put it down to bad luck for now.

lem3k
Topic Author

Well, this has happened again this morning. So it seems this is either not that rare, or I am very unlucky to experience this twice in the first week.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion