Discussion topic: Sky buddy VPN blocking mobile data

This message was authored by Kell+bells This message was authored by: Kell+bells

Sky buddy VPN blocking mobile data

Hi, my daughter has sky buddy on her phone as I like to limit access to inappropriate sites, limit time on the internet & also only allow at certain times of the day however I believe it's the VPN that does not allow her access to mobile data whilst she is out & about. Our sky broadband is currently down and I've had to delete the VPN so she can do her homework using her data. Is there a way around this as I still want to use sky buddy but would like her to have access to some internet whilst she is out of the house. 

All Replies

This message was authored by MrGoddard This message was authored by: MrGoddard

Re: Sky buddy VPN blocking mobile data

Hi, has anyone found a resolution for this vpn and mobile data issue ? 
thank you 

Kell+bells
Topic Author
This message was authored by Kell+bells This message was authored by: Kell+bells

No one has offered any solution at all. I have now cancelled my daughters data contract because I have wasted so much money each month where she just can't use it due to the VPN. Very frustrating. 

This message was authored by MrGoddard This message was authored by: MrGoddard

I spent 30 minutes on the phone and the person on the phone had not heard of the sky buddy app and had to Google it 🤷🏼‍♂️ 

I have fixed this issue on one of my child's phones by reming the app and then reinstalling it. Worth making sure the phones software is also up to date too. 

Kell+bells
Topic Author

Thanks, I'll try that. I heard a rumour that sky have discontinued Sky Buddy and it's now Only available to the existing customers as they're trying to phase it out. No idea if this is true or not though but may make sense if no one is able to answer a simple question about it.

This message was authored by g7rpo This message was authored by: g7rpo

Probably very over complicated but I have 2 piholes controlling access to sites when on my home network, both my kids have iphones so I installed vpn connections on their phones to connect to home and all their internet access goes through the protected home network.

Can set the vpn to connect automatically so that even if they disconnect it will reconnect immediately.

2tb Sky Q box 2x Sky q mini boxes --- All cabled

2x WAN connections
1 from employer

Watchguard M500 Firewall multi wan setup using SDwan for routing
3x WG AP300 Access points
Web filtering performed by Pi-hole
This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Kell+bells wrote:

I heard a rumour that sky have discontinued Sky Buddy and it's now Only available to the existing customers as they're trying to phase it out. No idea if this is true or not

@Kell+bells 

That is correct. There's been no announcement as to whether it's being replaced but Sky Broadband Buddy is only available to customers who had downloaded and set up the app prior to 24 May 2022. 

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM
Kell+bells
Topic Author

Thank you for your reply, 

sounds like a great set up but a bit over my head I'm afraid. The sky buddy VPN works great when connected at home and does exactly what I want it to do, it's just frustrating that I would have to disconnect the VPN every time she leaves the house in order to use mobile data which isn't really a viable option. If it could be set up to not block mobile data then it would be perfect. I know there are lots of app alternatives out there that do a similar job so I will research those and hopefully find one that doesn't block the mobile data.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion