Discussion topic: Sky broadband hub very poor design or just my unit?

This message was authored by joeyboy11223 This message was authored by: joeyboy11223

Sky broadband hub very poor design or just my unit?

Too be honest I don't think it can somehow just be my unit but anyway... 

So I've just moved to sky broadband and sky stream, leaving virgin media.

So the WiFi is fine and the ethernet cable from the bt box on the wall to the sky hub (was placed in port 4 of the yellow ethernet connection section) seems stable.

However it seems it wasn't designed to actually have the user use ethernet cables. No cables I own (I own a lot..) can actually securely attach to the ports, they're all basically hanging loose. It's also the case if you want to use the remaining 3 ports, the lack of any space between them means you physically cannot use them all with most ethernet cables. 

I have purchased some particularly thin ones (as in no bulky plastic around the attachment) so now they just about fit.. Though not really. But the lack of them being able to secure at all means my devices are losing Internet unless I wiggle the cables again and pray nothing moves them at the subatomic level. 

I am trying to have the sky stream, an xbox series x and hive hub connected via ethernet. Even with the thin cable jt basically seems like all 3 devices cannot receive Internet at once (I think the cables touching each other is preventing a solid connection). If I use just two, it's often the case after a few hours a cable has basically worked itself out slightly (as nothing is holding it in). 

I'm probably going to get a 1 to 4 ethernet adapter and basically cement that in. But it just seems totally asinine, never in my life have I seen such a shoddy router. The virgin media one it replaced was fine, 2mm gap between each port meant the ports could,, be used.. The expected click as the ethernet cable is secured etc. 

I suppose the only other option is to buy my own router? 

I guess I just want to see if, especially the lack of ability to properly connect the cables, is somehow just my router? 

The model no. Is SR203

Thanks all. 

Best Answers
joeyboy11223
Topic Author
This message was authored by joeyboy11223 This message was authored by: joeyboy11223 Answer

Re: Sky broadband hub very poor design or just my unit?

Just thought I'd update. Got a new router and exact same issue, no ethernet cable can actually be secured. I even got a load of new slimline cables so we're talking a dozen different cables. 

Got a 1 to 5 ethernet adapter from tp-link. Obviously the cables click into place no problem in that. Now im just desperately trying to figure a way to secure an ethernet cable into this, probably use blu tac.

It feels like a dream honestly lol. Whatever model I have here must have had literally no testing to see if its functional as a product. This is a mass produced item for huge company. Literally insane the R&D/design screw up here. Some people use cables guys.. Make ports that. Well.. Fit them 

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by ab54666 This message was authored by: ab54666

I have the same router and have no issues, have 3 patch cables in the yellow ports all next to each other, just standard one's from Amazon and they have boots on them so slightly wider.

Also my router is connected to the BT socket into the purple port (RJ11 I believe is it's official name) not one of the yellow ports. See picture below.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/51PjLUdPdOL._AC_SL1086_.jpg 

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@joeyboy11223 you have a SR203 Sky hub where one of the 4 ethernet LAN ports is used as a WAN port when on a true fibre service. I have had two of these units and had no issue with cables not latching correctly.  When the connector is inserted properly you should hear a click and lock. To release the cable press down on the spring lever on the connector and it should come out smoothly never pull a cable out without using the lever..

The main part latch mechanism is that spring lever built into the RJ45 connecter on the cable. which can become damaged or broken if not used properly particularly if cables have not been plugged and unplugged  corectly.  You can buy RJ45 replacement clips if you want  or simply replace the cable if that is the issue.

Where you require more ethernet ports than the 3 your hub provides you can buy a unmanaged ethernet switch for a few pounds which will provide as many as you want. I have 2 8 port switches on my own system which work perfectly.

Never use glue or cement to attach cables to a Sky hub as it is on loan to you and Sky will require it sent back when you leave or when they replace it. If tge hub is damaged you get charged for it. In the unlikely event tgst your hub is a reurbished and damage by the prevoius user to the ethernet ports was missed then ask Sky to swap the unit

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
joeyboy11223
Topic Author
This message was authored by joeyboy11223 This message was authored by: joeyboy11223

Ah hmm interesting on the cable to the bt location. As you can see mine was put here (yellow connection black cable). I actually cannot seem to remove it at all, as if its been shoved in so hard its stuck.

But anyway it plugged in along with the one for cables that came the sky stream, xbox series x and hive, cannot all fit together. As I say I did get thinner ones but it's just more problematic they can't secure. The hive is the worst it's literally so loose it disconnects all the time as its basically falling out right away, never experienced this before (same cable, other two routers).  

So here the white cable is not clicking into place, it's the most problematic as its just so free in the port (but none do bar the literally stuck one he's done.. Maybe he shoved it hard enough to damage it as he couldn't get it to stay in). As you can see hive hub has no signal, so it's just wiggling it about in the slot then seeing if it goes green, then hoping no microbe knocks it. 

16738578937581941010047363662043.jpg

joeyboy11223
Topic Author

The Internet is a different beast these days. I guess I needed a reddit style /s on using cement... 

But anyway. Nah they don't connect as they should, as in I know how ethernet cables secure themselves and as I say I have tried many cables which connect on the virgin router right next to me but none do here.

I have pulled with a great deal of force (obviously pressing the clip) and cannot remove the cable he's put in there, making me think he faced the same issue but pushed in so hard the mechanism is broken. 

This message was authored by ab54666 This message was authored by: ab54666

The latch on the cable is probably broken, i've had that before, try a tiny scredriver to release it, worked for me when I had that issue with one.

The picture hasn't come through, but does sound like if you've tried various cables theres a fault with the Router ports, maybe a call to sky and see if they'll send a relacement. They certainly are built to take ethernet cables.

joeyboy11223
Topic Author

Yeah think I will tbh. It just seems an unusual fault for one unit to have to me as its every port so it felt more like a design flaw. But if everyone else is okay eh it just be me. Hopefully they can send another, if I have the same issue then every ethernet I own including a more slim line one I just got to allow 4 to fit is somehow not compatible, which just isn't possible haha. 

joeyboy11223
Topic Author
This message was authored by joeyboy11223 This message was authored by: joeyboy11223 Answer

Just thought I'd update. Got a new router and exact same issue, no ethernet cable can actually be secured. I even got a load of new slimline cables so we're talking a dozen different cables. 

Got a 1 to 5 ethernet adapter from tp-link. Obviously the cables click into place no problem in that. Now im just desperately trying to figure a way to secure an ethernet cable into this, probably use blu tac.

It feels like a dream honestly lol. Whatever model I have here must have had literally no testing to see if its functional as a product. This is a mass produced item for huge company. Literally insane the R&D/design screw up here. Some people use cables guys.. Make ports that. Well.. Fit them 

joeyboy11223
Topic Author

Alright since I had two routers thought eh doesn't matter if one is damaged. 

Sorted it. Unlike other routers I have cables won't secure unless you press down to the latch which normally releases an ethernet cable and also push it in very hard, harder than I'd like for other routers hence being worried trying it. I would be concerned doing that over and over would damage the plastic at the back of the port but suppose once its in its generally staying where it is. 

This message was authored by Mini+Mo This message was authored by: Mini+Mo

Been using cables from Kenable Ltd for years, never had any problems with them, currently using these flat ones, give a good solid coonnection.

https://www.kenable.co.uk/en/search?controller=search&poscats=0&s=FLAT+CAT7+FTP+Shielded+600MHz+10Gb...

This message was authored by simon194 This message was authored by: simon194

@Mini+Mo wrote:

Been using cables from Kenable Ltd for years, never had any problems with them, currently using these flat ones, give a good solid coonnection.

https://www.kenable.co.uk/en/search?controller=search&poscats=0&s=FLAT+CAT7+FTP+Shielded+600MHz+10Gb...

My go to place for most cables.

Well this is  still a big issue , I got the new  router upgraded to fiber super fast . Went to plug in my ethernet  plug and its **bleep** wont fit  . I could push  alot harder to make it   but got me wondering have the cables  changed and so went to  mysky and as always its useless  . I wish I have gone else where.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@jeremy+sawyer wrote:

but got me wondering have the cables  changed 

No: RJ45 is a global standard (the RJ is 'registered jack) and absolutely cannot change in physical dimensions or it would lose compatibility with hundreds of millions (billions?) of existing units and cables. 

However I guess it's conceivable that QA slipped at wherever produced those particular yellow injection moulded back plate units: the majority of domestic routers will never have anything plugged into them.

https://www.cuidevices.com/blog/the-ultimate-guide-to-rj45-connectors 

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion