Discussion topic: Sky Router wifi drop out! 3rd party way forward???

This message was authored by Fireblade999 This message was authored by: Fireblade999

Sky Router wifi drop out! 3rd party way forward???

I have had sky many years and have sky q. Problem is the router and WiFi. Get 3 green lights, phone said your connected to sky but no Internet connection. Then it randomly returns. Sometimes within 10 minutes sometimes an hour. Even a reset leaves it unable to connect to Internet. Whenever I phone Sky accessibility line always told its hood to premises but shows wifi issues. It's away from radiators and electronics. Even stood next to it, no Internet connection. Engineers come out. Lost count of amount of times ant can't find any issues. Router changed. Same problem. Though not as frequent. I live in  small 2 bedroom bungalow with stud walls. Copper from cabinet to property. Would a third party router be a better way to go? If so what can I get for £100 to £150. I suffer with mental health and physical disabilities and when it goes down it drives me to the point of throwing out the window. 

Best Answers
This message was authored by TomThumb5ive This message was authored by: TomThumb5ive Answer

Re: Sky Router wifi drop out! 3rd party way forward???

@Fireblade999  I've not used the Sky supplied router for a couple of years now, 

but when it was in use, I also suffered from very similar issues.

Back then the cause was sky's dns server not resolving / responding.

An easy check is to clear down sky's dns entries next time the issue occurs, then replace with an alternative service, Google's 8.8.8.8 being on offer.

Dns settings are per device, it cannot be changed on the router, they are easy enough to change, or change back if no improvement.

a quick google search for your chosen device & change dns settings will point you in the right direction if any help is needed to find the settings for this.

Tom...

Sky want us to believe in better
BELIEVE =accept that (something) is true, especially without proof.
BETTER = of a higher standard, or more suitable, pleasing, or effective than other things or people:

Sky Q & 2 mini’s
SR203 router. > Replaced with ASUS XT9’s with a TP-Link TD-W9970 modem
Sky superfast 80/20 :sort of, 63-75/15. Devolo 1200 wifi > Replaced with cat 6
Sony KDAF8 65 oled.

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Hi @Fireblade999 

Please post your router stats

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Broadband/How-to-find-your-Sky-Broadband-router-stats/td-p/2855717/jump...

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
Fireblade999
Topic Author
This message was authored by Fireblade999 This message was authored by: Fireblade999

• 1000014238.jpg

@Fireblade999 

Your router is showing a stable connection so I suspect the cause of the problem is your Sky Q. How many Sky Q mini boxes & boosters do you have if any?

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Fireblade999
Topic Author

Yes it does say that when engineers call too. Never plays up when you need it too. I phoned skyvyesterdaycand they said it was showing a wifi problem then it came back on as though a switch had been flicked. I know when it's stable as my phone is on the WiFi. But at least once a week .. no WiFi and phone switches to 5g and no netflix or sonos. The engineers switched all WiFi off on mini box and sky q as it was corrupting sonos speakers as they was connecting to mini box or sky q or router. Now everything has to connect with router 

@Fireblade999 

By switch WiFi off I assume you mean they turned off the hotspot feature?

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Fireblade999
Topic Author

Yes correct 

Fireblade999
Topic Author

I get better stability using my phones hot-spot which is why I thought a net gear router may be better than skys own or create other issues

This message was authored by TomThumb5ive This message was authored by: TomThumb5ive Answer

@Fireblade999  I've not used the Sky supplied router for a couple of years now, 

but when it was in use, I also suffered from very similar issues.

Back then the cause was sky's dns server not resolving / responding.

An easy check is to clear down sky's dns entries next time the issue occurs, then replace with an alternative service, Google's 8.8.8.8 being on offer.

Dns settings are per device, it cannot be changed on the router, they are easy enough to change, or change back if no improvement.

a quick google search for your chosen device & change dns settings will point you in the right direction if any help is needed to find the settings for this.

Tom...

BETTER = of a higher standard, or more suitable, pleasing, or effective than other things or people:

Sky Q & 2 mini’s
Sony KDAF8 65 oled.
Fireblade999
Topic Author

Much obliged Tom. I shall begin my research as instructed. 👍🏼

This message was authored by TomThumb5ive This message was authored by: TomThumb5ive

@Fireblade999  Don't forget to let the forum know how you get on!

As said, using an alternative like Google's dns is easy enough to do & then even easier to reverse.

an easy test for troubleshooting dns related issues.

For me on fttc, mostly between 8pm to 11pm, lasting anything from 10 minutes to 2Hrs, 1 or 2 times a week,

devices reporting no internet / or just hanging / router not dropping connection & 3 green lights.

Intermittent faults are a pita, but pushing dns requests to Google's 8.8.8.8 service will rule in / out one possible cause.

Tom...

Sky Q & 2 mini’s
Sony KDAF8 65 oled.
Fireblade999
Topic Author

Hi Tom. 

Just went down again. Kicked me off my ps5 and google speaker stopped working and phone said connected but no Internet then switched itself to 5g. 

Tried to log into router 192.168.0.1 but couldn't connect as no WiFi so couldn't check dns. 

Called Sky accessibility line and told me that I'm entitled to leave now lol Sending another engineer. Pointless as it's intermittent. 

Fireblade999
Topic Author

Can I swap this for the sky router or do I need a modem as well like your set up. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion