Discussion topic: Sky Q router needs rebooting every few days

This message was authored by Dogmandfds This message was authored by: Dogmandfds

Sky Q router needs rebooting every few days

Sky Q router needs rebooting every few days.

I've noticed the issue that has been getting progressively worse over the last year.

Reboots used to be weekly generally, now required every other day.

Symptons:

- internet access slow, page timeouts.
- high latency between clients (connected to both LAN and WLAN) when pinging gateway address 192.168.0.1

- ping responses generally >1000ms, or no packect response

- download speed on speedtest down to 1 mbps

Resolution: 

- reboot router.

- issue returns after 48-72 hours generally.

Sky Q router is 7 years old

Router stats 2 hours after reboot.

Dogmandfds_0-1656324070318.png

My initial thoughts are potentially a hardware/firmware issue with the router given it's age.

Can anyone offer any advice on this please?

Thanks

All Replies

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Re: Sky Q router needs rebooting every few days

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Hi @Dogmandfds 

The first point of call would be to report the issue to Sky and get a replacement router sent out. If that doesnt fix the issue then you'd have to start looking at what devices are connected to the router.

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
Dogmandfds
Topic Author
This message was authored by Dogmandfds This message was authored by: Dogmandfds

Just requested a new router, should arrive tomorrow hopefully

This message was authored by Argyller This message was authored by: Argyller

Did this solve problem?  I have exact same issue with router requiring rebooted every day.  Router is only 2-3 years old.

Dogmandfds
Topic Author

The replacement router has definitley been better. For the first 6 months I have only had to reboot the router - say once/twice a month.

I have definitley noted that recently that has increased slightly - probably two/three times a month now after having the router for 8 months or so.

I have had an issue with downstream speed on my line which has not helped in assessing performance, but that has been resolved now. 

My overall experience is that the router hardware will likely need to be replaced every few years as performance and reliabilty reduces over time. Same with my Sky Q box to be fair - I'm on box number 3 now

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion