Discussion topic: Sky Q and New broadband hub installed - hardly any connection since

This message was authored by Bea80 This message was authored by: Bea80

Sky Q and New broadband hub installed - hardly any connection since

Our old Sky box was replaced today by Sky engineer. When he came he said that the broadband hub will need replacing as well and they Sky should have sent one. As they haven't he said he had one with him and he replaced the old one with the new one. This was 2-3 hours ago. We hardly have any connection since. Every 10 seconds I get message that there is no connection. 

18ADE68B-7811-45C3-A20F-76901D5A2120.png

 I have been waiting for some time for anyone to answer on the phone help line. As the engineer left the old skybox and old broadband hub, can they just be reconnected and I can have internet again? This is not what I hoped for

Best Answers
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood Answer

Re: Sky Q and New broadband hub installed - hardly any connection since

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Bea80 wrote:

The old rooter was taller like a small brick while the new one is flat like a plate. 

The Q Hub is a considerably poorer shape for WiFi than either the Sky Hub or the Sky Broadband Hub.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@Bea80 

Looks like you are using a VPN. How does it perform without the VPN?

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
Bea80
Topic Author

I do use VPN but didn't try without it. Got to talk to the Sky help team on the phone who advised trying the old rooter which I did. So far so good. No drops in connection though only 2 bars on my phone connection.
I wonder if it I has something to do with the position and shape of the rooter. It sits behind the sofa on the window. The old rooter was taller like a small brick while the new one is flat like a plate. I don't know, none IT skills whatsoever. 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood Answer

@Bea80 wrote:

The old rooter was taller like a small brick while the new one is flat like a plate. 

The Q Hub is a considerably poorer shape for WiFi than either the Sky Hub or the Sky Broadband Hub.

Bea80
Topic Author

@TimmyBGood  The new Sky Q rooter does look much more sleek but unfortunately with the position of the phone line and the furniture it seems the old rooter works better. I'll keep the new one and do some thinking of how can I make this work. Till then, the old one does the job and so far no issues with the Sky Q box and the old rooter combo.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Bea80 wrote:

@TimmyBGood  The new Sky Q rooter does look much more sleek 

The form factor is a triumph of branding over common sense: it's obviously intended to emulate the Q television box, but there's a good reason everyone makes 802.11ac routers either upright or horizontal but with vertical external antennae...

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion