Discussion topic: Sky Hub Randomly Restarting

This message was authored by Vicky+Jones+86 This message was authored by: Vicky+Jones+86

Sky Hub Randomly Restarting

Good afternoon All! 

This is the second attempt at posting as it would seem the first one has gone missing. 

My Sky Broadband Hub has started to reboot itself over the last couple of weeks randomly. 

My Hubby works in IT and he is unable to find anything amiss. We have attempted the reset button a few times and he thought that this would re-enable the 2.4ghz WiFi (as it's disabled by choice as seen in the stats below) and delete his DHCP table but this does not happen.

We do have a couple of extra TP-Link routers set up as APs but these have been stable for months. 

Sky1.png 

All Replies

Vicky+Jones+86
Topic Author
This message was authored by Vicky+Jones+86 This message was authored by: Vicky+Jones+86

Re: Sky Hub Randomly Restarting

I also forgot to add that we've also tried unplugging it from the wall and everything else in the APs and also making sure that all devices are identified and added to the DHCP so that any unknown devices are identified. 

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Vicky+Jones+86 

As the lan, wan and wlan 5ghz went down at the same time it would suggest an issue with the router power supply unit (so long as you didn't restart yourself) Best advice would be to call sky on 150 from your sky landline or
zero three three three seven five nine one zero one eight from any other phone

Or if in Ireland

Call sky ireland on

Remove all the full stops

To request a new hub

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
Vicky+Jones+86
Topic Author

Thank  you @cookiemonsteruk,  we've tried to call 150 and got the message "we're too busy to help you right now, please call back later" and then something about a text message.

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Vicky+Jones+86 

How often is it rebooting itself? The router may do it occasionally at night for updates

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
Vicky+Jones+86
Topic Author

Well... here we are a few months down the line... We have since had another Sky Hub and an engineer visit after that hub started doing the same thing... 

Then the 3rd hub, installed by the engineer started to exhibit the same issue again... 

So we removed the ethernet cable from the Sky Q box we had next to it and so far the box has been online for 5 days with no restarts witnessed in the logs or stats. 

So its likely that the Sky Q box we've had for years has developed this fault and something is causing it to restart the router it was connected to.... very odd! 

This message was authored by Robbo0410 This message was authored by: Robbo0410

@Vicky+Jones+86 just want to pick your brain TV engineer recently connected my sky Q main box with an ethernet cable couple weeks back as the router is also in the living room, and we were having loads of issues with our mini box upstairs knocking the WiFi off, last couple of weeks the router has indeed been resetting itself, I'm wondering if I have the same problem, I have my xbox series x connected via ethernet and have had absolutely no issues with that, this all started happening when the sky Q main box got wired to the router 

This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3

@Robbo0410 

There is a pretty well-known bug with Sky mesh in that with two routes to the Sky box via wireless and ethernet you can get LAN ethernet broadcast storms, it doesn't happen often but when it does occur it will cause the issue you are having.

The solution is usually to put an ethernet switch (unmanaged) between the Sky Q main box and the Sky router.

-------

Zen internet on FTTP (900Mbps down, 100Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.

@mae-3 I had a spare tp link ethernet switch lying about, I've connected my Xbox and the Sky Q main box to the switch so there now both on one port into the router, hopefully that solves the issue of the router resetting itself since they should not be able to switch ports now and cause a conflict 

@mae-3 update, it was fine all day yesterday after my post at midday but this morning it reset itself again, I'm at a loss at what to do really as it's just completely random when it's doing it, Sky just blame it on a faulty router but I've had 3 routers in the last 2 weeks which says to me it isn't the router, so technically I have working FTTP broadband, but it just resets itself randomnly 

@Robbo0410 

It isn't likely a hardware issue but it could be a software firmware bug. When it does this does the router reboot itself or does just traffic stop flowing? Can you get to the router interface when it happens and post a set of router stats? Can you ping the router at 192.168.0.1 when it happens?

-------

Zen internet on FTTP (900Mbps down, 100Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.

@mae-3 power light goes red on the router as if it's doing a hard reset, all the lights on ONT stay on, Lan light occasionally goes off when the router is going through the reset process but it's only for a second on two then it's back on and flickering as usual, these are the statistics at the moment, I imagine if I try and load the hub management web page when it happens it'll just say web page unavailable as there's no internet

Screenshot_2024-01-05-10-27-06-22_4641ebc0df1485bf6b47ebd018b5ee76.jpg

@Robbo0410 

The router loses power for a split second then likely owing to poor design, and it cannot survive minor power issues, eg: spikes and brownouts. 😎

-------

@mae-3 oh dear, not much I can do then really if it's the router, only thing I could do is buy a 3rd party router but even then it needs to be connected to the sky router so that wouldn't solve the issue, so previously what you said about lan broadcast storms that couldn't cause the router to do what I'm describing?

@Robbo0410 

Broadcast storms are a different issue, losing power is another design fault of the Sky routers when the mains supply isn't perfect. You could try installing a good-quality UPS to feed the supply to the router.

-------

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion