Discussion topic: Sky Fibre Broadband (FTTP) with Ubiquity USG (i.e. 3rd party router)

This message was authored by Doofusburger This message was authored by: Doofusburger

Re: Sky Fibre Broadband (FTTP) with Ubiquity USG (i.e. 3rd party router)

@BentleyBoy183 I've had a look at the dump from my USG and from my understanding, the config.gateway.json file is used to ensure anything present in the file is used when the device is rebooted whereas issuing the command line instructions is lost after a reboot.

I'd run mca-ctrl -t dump-cfg before doing anything so you've got the current settings then issue the commands and then run the dump again.  In there you should have eth0, eth1 & eth2.

Compare the eth0 sections and create a config.gateway.json file for any new config in the 2nd dump in the format of
{
"interfaces": {
"ethernet": {
"eth0": {
<New Config>
}
}
}
}
}
The New Config needs going in exactly as in the dump taken after issuing the commands. Each section of new config needs seperating with a comma (bar the last one)

Send the file to your support team and they need to save it in the /usr/lib/unifi/data/sites/default/ directory on the USG. They don't/shouldn't need the whole dump file.

I'd check to see if you have anything in a config.gateway.json file currently as this would obviously overwite that.

If you do combine them and send that over.

This message was authored by Doofusburger This message was authored by: Doofusburger

Quick update as my fibre was swapped onto Sky overnight.

I just enabled DHCPv4 in the GUI and it's connected

I haven't had to run any CLI commands or edit my config.gateway.json file.

speedtest.net shows me on sky's network and I'm getting the same up & down speeds as my previous ISP (BT) 

I'll see how it goes

BentleyBoy183
Topic Author
This message was authored by BentleyBoy183 This message was authored by: BentleyBoy183

@Doofusburger thank you for the update.  I was also enabled overnight and have tested using the Sky provided router to confirm the broadband was working.

My original settings on the USG for the WAN were as follows:

USG "WAN" Settings for BT Broadband

BentleyBoy183_0-1658393766342.png

Are you saying that you made a change in the GUI to enable DHCPv4 and that alone allowed your USG to connect (i.e. no setting of DHCP scope options)?

Please could you share a screen shot of your configuration?

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@BentleyBoy183 

That screenshot you posted can't be shown as it contains your username so feel free to upload it again with that bit blanked out !

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can
BentleyBoy183
Topic Author
This message was authored by BentleyBoy183 This message was authored by: BentleyBoy183

Sorry @caesarome I will share again without that username.  That was the username which is standard for all PPoE connections to BT Broadband (FTTP) as is the password (not shown), but to be safe I have now blanked it out.  That you for flagging.

My original settings on the USG for the WAN (Internet) with BT Broadband (FTTP) were was follows:

BentleyBoy183_0-1658394908721.png

This message was authored by Skull+Treaty This message was authored by: Skull+Treaty

@caesarome wrote:

@BentleyBoy183 

That screenshot you posted can't be shown as it contains your username so feel free to upload it again with that bit blanked out !

That was/is generic BT username used in a similar way to the SKy one is often shown in images & frequently given freely in this forum 🙂
Also approved on this post

😄

"Sometimes, the only choices you have are bad ones, but you still have to choose"

@BentleyBoy183 , Sorry been at work. yeah all I did was enable DHCPv4 and disabled DHCPv6. nothing else.

Here is my Advanced config.

Screenshot 2022-07-21 210630.jpg

As a comparison here was the eth0 interface config from a dump of the USG (minus BT username & password)

"description": "WAN",
                            "firewall": {
                                    "in": {
                                            "ipv6-name": "WANv6_IN",
                                            "name": "WAN_IN"
                                    },
                                    "local": {
                                            "ipv6-name": "WANv6_LOCAL",
                                            "name": "WAN_LOCAL"
                                    },
                                    "out": {
                                            "ipv6-name": "WANv6_OUT",
                                            "name": "WAN_OUT"
                                    }
                            },
                            "pppoe": {
                                    "0": {
                                            "default-route": "none",
                                                    },
                                                    },
                                                    }
                                            },
                                            "name-server": "none",
                                            "password": "<Password>",
                                            "user-id": "<UserName>"
                                    }
                            }
                    },

And this is the same interface after moving to Sky and switching to DHCP rather than PPPoE

"address": [
                                    "dhcp"
                            ],
                            "description": "WAN",
                            "dhcp-options": {
                                    "client-option": [
                                            "retry 60;"
                                    ],
                                    "default-route-distance": "1",
                                    "name-server": "no-update"
                            },
                                    },
                                    },
                                    }
                            }
                    },

I still have the option of enabling the DHCP option if I have issues but apparently, it's been rock solid all day though I haven't rebooted the USG.
Maybe I should try that but that will have to wait until the weekend as I can't risk having connection issues tomorrow as it's a WFH day and I don't want to miss the Tour De France🤣

Damn no edit facility so I'll chuck this in here.

For reference, I'm running v7.1.66 of the Unifi Network Application

This message was authored by Skull+Treaty This message was authored by: Skull+Treaty

@Doofusburger wrote:

Maybe I should try that but that will have to wait until the weekend as I can't risk having connection issues tomorrow as it's a WFH day and I don't want to miss the Tour De France🤣

@Doofusburger Today's stage was excellent 🙂

"Sometimes, the only choices you have are bad ones, but you still have to choose"

My connection dropped overnight so I'm assuming that's when the DHCP lease expired.

I've issued the following commands on the UDG CLI interface

Configure

set interfaces ethernet eth0 dhcp-options client-option "send dhcp-client-identifier &quot;bacons&quot;;"

commit;save;exit

After a while, the connection came back.

Oh I also enabled DHCPv6 with the prefix set to 64 as I noticed on the sky router they were using DHCPv6 though it looks like they might be using a prefix of 56

Screenshot-2022-07-22-071118.jpg

I'm now struggling to find the gonfig.gateway.json file as it looks like Unifi have to change the location with the newer versions of the network app

I have found one in /root.dev/w.o/home/<username>/config.gateway.json

where <username> is actually the username used to SSH to the devices (you can find this in the GUI under Settings > System >  Network Device SSH Authentication)

I'm starting work soon so I'm going to modify the file here but leave a reboot/re-provision till tomorrow morning.

😠really should keep up with emails as I've just seen this from Sky yesterday

Screenshot 2022-07-22 080423.jpg

I do seem to be getting the speed expected. Hope it's not too intermitted today

BentleyBoy183
Topic Author

Thank you @Doofusburger this information is very useful. I'm up and running with the Sky Hub in place of my USG (and I have learned that the rest of my Ubiquity UniFi equipment can continue to be managed from the cloud controller - which is good). I've got the family visiting this weekend so will test the switch to the USG next week although all is working well so might stick with the as-is.

This message was authored by stevelufc This message was authored by: stevelufc

Hi @BentleyBoy183 I know this is a old post but I hope you get a notification for this.

I'm with sky FTTC and at the moment use a Draytek modem to make the connection with it's wi-fi turned off and connect that to 2 Netgear APs flashed with Openwrt but I'm looking at changing as much as I can to Unifi.

I'm getting confused with your post I see you entering the internet connection details into the USG but from what I see they don't have a modem or dsl connection only RJ45 ones or does sky FTTC not use the same as me ?

I fancy 2 of the Unifi 6 AC lites but can't work out what other Ubiquiti devices I might need, I know I need PoE somewhere to power the AC lites, 

So far I'm thinking I still need to keep my Draytek modem then connect that to Unifi PoE switch (or is a USG the same ?) and hard wire them to however many AC lites I have.

Or is there a way I can get rid of my Draytek as I can't see any modems.

Thanks for any help.

This message was authored by Hannah+Westwell This message was authored by: Hannah+Westwell

Hi Doofusburger,

I was just reading through the thread as I know someone that has just got Sky FTTP and we are trying to use a USG3 so going through the same pain.

I have spoken to my cloud controller host unificloud.co.uk and they said I need to provide the .json file. 

I wondered if anyone had a .json which I could use, it that possible or would they all be unique?

Regards,

Paul

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion