Discussion topic: Sky Broadband Superfast 80?

This message was authored by Eng+Wei This message was authored by: Eng+Wei

Sky Broadband Superfast 80?

I'm coming up to the end of my current contract and when I go to 'recontract' it offers me "Sky Broadband Superfast 80" which is twice the speed I'm currently receiving.

I can't find anything about this product and nor does customer services.

Any idea what it might be?

Clipboard01.jpg

All Replies

Eng+Wei
Topic Author

Re: Sky Broadband Superfast 80?

I'm trying to upload a screenshot but it's not displaying, apologies

Eng+Wei
Topic Author

The speed seems to keep changing! 
Clipboard02.jpg

This message was authored by notmushroom This message was authored by: notmushroom

This is weird. I too am in a similar position. Recently finished contract.  I have been complaining about the speed drop for some time and was told it's the best I can get. 36mbps. I used to get high 40's to low 50's. This dropped to 36.5  every day at whatever time.  Now they are saying I can get my speeds back above 50 by taking this new superfast 80.

There appears to be some funny practices going on with broadband.

Ofcom need to investigate itself too. They are the major cause of ISPs being able to manipulate speeds to tempt people into contracts that are temporary speed boosts. Fttc should not be allowed to promote fibre connection. It's not it's totally false, a blatant lie and treating people as stupid.

UK fibre is years behind where it should be in 2021. The industry is a disgrace.

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Eng+Wei  If you already get about 40mbps then superfast 80 may not actually give you a higher speed as the minimum guaranteed speed is 32.3mbps on your line.

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

This message was authored by Mark-Br This message was authored by: Mark-Br

Thanks for sharing this.

Sky Broadband Superfast can provide speeds up to 80 Mbps - line speeds can be impacted by a range of factors, most notably, the distance between a property and the green cabinet (PCP).

However, it is unusual to see Superfast referred to with a number against the name, I've flagged this convo just in case there has been a mistake with the copy. 🙂

Mark
Community Manager

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@Eng+Wei 

Enter your full address below to see if your lines capable and post the table. Unless fttp is in your area and they've given fttp sogea a brand name

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL/AddressHome

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
This message was authored by Moors2022 This message was authored by: Moors2022

Is it 80 megabits per second or 80 megabytes per second 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Moors2022 

ISPs always quote speed in megabits per second (Mbps).  To get 80 megabytes per second (MBps) would require 500Mbps FTTP.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Moors2022

That should be 'better than' 500Mbps FTTP.

This message was authored by lybad This message was authored by: lybad

I'm in the same position - I've just renewed mine on the basis of a guaranteed 64.9meg speed - which is 5 higher than I'm currently getting, and an additional 5 higher than it was a couple of weeks ago.

But this hasn't been reflected in the web page describing my contracted product. But then I guess that could take a couple of days to change.

This message was authored by lybad This message was authored by: lybad

Closely followed by my email confirming my update - with a guaranteed minimum speed 11meg below what was the renewal offer on the web page. 

Which would seem to be false advertising?

This message was authored by SO2+HAZMAT This message was authored by: SO2+HAZMAT

I am coming to the end of my contact and currenlty have superfast, it is offering me superfast 80 will I notice the differenceo ro go to BT where the cost is a lto cheaper

@SO2+HAZMAT wrote:

will I notice the differenceo ro go to BT where the cost is a lto cheaper

BT and Sky would be using the same wholesale broadband service over the same physical circuit.

It's up to you to assess the relative value of the different routers, customer support experience etc.

I belive the standard minimum term for BT is longer.

This message was authored by Highlinder This message was authored by: Highlinder

@SO2+HAZMAT  The speed might stay the same, that depends on how many others share that same connection in the cabinet for BT.

When I was BT I saw my speed drop from 76mb/s  to 59mb/s because of congestion in the  cabinet. When I moved to Sky I was able to see overtime my speed rise again to 76. So you roll the dice when moving from one provider to the other, but that is up to each individual.

If someone has helped give them Like.

If you have found this solution helpful please tick this as the answer.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion