Discussion topic: Sky Broadband Router - Not allowing Printer

This message was authored by Pat+Dennis This message was authored by: Pat+Dennis

Re: Sky Broadband Router - Not allowing Printer

@Highlinder @Len66 

New router has arrived and so far working as it should. I'm guessing that there has been a batch of faulty routers. 
thank you everyone for your help 

This message was authored by Pat+Dennis This message was authored by: Pat+Dennis

@Highlinder @Len66 

Update

after a few hours the printer disconnected. Phoned sky and was told that printers are a problem with the new dual band routers. Tech person said he can't tell me how to split the band as Sky don't provide this training. This is becoming ridiculous. Eventually, after raising a complaint, someone else told me to disconnect the router and printer. Then turn router on followed by printer. It connected and so far so good.  Is this just a Sky issue? 

This message was authored by Highlinder This message was authored by: Highlinder

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Pat+DennisSometimes it can be a problem. But in the link below is how to split the Wi-Fi if you still need to.

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Broadband-Talk/How-to-separate-WiFi-bands/ba-p/3530610 

If someone has helped give them Like.

If you have found this solution helpful please tick this as the answer.
This message was authored by Alexier This message was authored by: Alexier

After spending hours thinking it was a HP or Mac issue this work perfectly 😊 I could kiss you 😘 thanks soooo much 

This message was authored by StretchG This message was authored by: StretchG

Have spent hour trying to fix this, have split wifi bands, and followed the advice earlier in the thread to create an IP address reservation.

Can access the printer through wireless clients, but anyone wired into the network cannot print/scan. The only solution I have found has been to remove the SKY hub and use a TP Link one instead. Personally I would rather use the Sky hub, but need to fix this issue.

G

This message was authored by Mike0W This message was authored by: Mike0W

HP printer,  new Sky broadband router - Not connecting with WPS

This was resolved by logging into the router's admin page, going to the WiFi setup,

and changing the WPA setting to "WPA mixed-mode" from the default of "WPA2-only".

This was probably due to the older printer not supporting the newer WPA2-only mode.

Steps:

* power off then unplug printer, wait a minute

* log in to Sky router admin page, on 192.168.0.1 using "admin" and password on back of router

* change to Wifi settings page

* scroll down to Settings of WPA mode, set WPA mixed mode

* click Apply

* power on printer, enter WPS setup mode, Start

* press WPS button on Sky router

* printer reports "Connected"

This message was authored by jso257 This message was authored by: jso257

I have seen lots of people with problems connecting a HP printer to their WiFi network after having worked with no problem. I have also seen lots or recommended solutions. I have had exactly the same issue and have tried most of the solutions. The succesful solution was a combination of 2 others that I have seen.

Firstly - Seperate the WiFI frequencies (2.4 GHz and 5 GHz) so they don't synchronise with each other.

Secondly - Assign a dedicated IP address to the printer.

I made both of these changes and after restating the hub and printer I haven't had a problem.

The details of how to make these changes are contained within the thread from other users. but if you need help get back to me.

This message was authored by jrc81 This message was authored by: jrc81

Hi, thanks for posting this.  I seem to be in a similar situation with a HP wireless printer.

I've been able to reserve an IP address for my printer at the MAC address from Wireless Network Test Report.

However, the printer is still showing as "offline" in Windows and is not shown as a connected device on the Sky Hub.

Do you have any more ideas on how I could resolve this?

This message was authored by Slick This message was authored by: Slick

I have a similar problem HP photosmart 5520 printer always connected fine until I got new hub I can connect printer and print absolutely fine but it just won't scan says unable to connect to server can anyone help

This message was authored by JPR007 This message was authored by: JPR007

@Mike0W wrote:

HP printer,  new Sky broadband router - Not connecting with WPS

This was resolved by logging into the router's admin page, going to the WiFi setup,

and changing the WPA setting to "WPA mixed-mode" from the default of "WPA2-only".

This was probably due to the older printer not supporting the newer WPA2-only mode.

Steps:

* power off then unplug printer, wait a minute

* log in to Sky router admin page, on 192.168.0.1 using "admin" and password on back of router

* change to Wifi settings page

* scroll down to Settings of WPA mode, set WPA mixed mode

* click Apply

* power on printer, enter WPS setup mode, Start

* press WPS button on Sky router

* printer reports "Connected"

@Mike0W The networks security is now severely compromised running it in that mode.

WPA2-AES is the current minumum standard recommended. If i had just one device which couldn't keep up, that device would be replaced rather than reducing security for the network and everything on it...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Zen Superfast (FTTC), Fritzbox 7530, Sky Q 2TB UHD v3 (x1), Sky Q Mini (x2), Alienware Area 51-M, Panasonic TX-65HZ1000B, Denon AVR-X6300H, B&W CM8 S2, B&W CM1 S2 (x2), B&W CM Centre S2, REL S3 SHO (x2), Panasonic TX-P42G30B, Monitor Audio RS6, Marantz PM7001 KI, Denon HEOS 1 HS2 (x2), B&W P7, iPad Pro 12.9" (5th Gen), iPhone 14 Pro Max, iPad Mini 6 (work)

** No - I have nothing to do with Sky **
This message was authored by Stevegee7 This message was authored by: Stevegee7

Hi yes this worked, converted a doorstop to a functioning printer and scanner. Leads me to 3 questions:-

Why does this work?

Why wouldn't split channels be the default - since it's clearly advantageous?

or

Why wouldn't HP set the printer up so that it can work with unsplit channels?

Would save people weeks of frustration if this could have been thought about at the design stages for printers and routers.

This message was authored by Welshdragon66 This message was authored by: Welshdragon66

This is so frustrating - have tried everything mentioned on here and still nothing!  When I give the printer an IP address it's not showing under the 'maintenance' tab as a listed device but when I go back into the lan settings, it's there - any ideas, anyone?

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@Welshdragon66 Assume if you are talking about IP addresses that the printer has connected to the hub? The hub can only "see" devices with IP addresses within its range which is 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.254 so check the IP address you are using is in that range secondly check thst the Hub's DHCP server has not issued the same address to another device. In practice I let the hub issue addresses and on devices I want on a fixed address I then reserve it on the hub so it doesnt change.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by PatsyF This message was authored by: PatsyF

Hi, my HP printer will not connect to the router, even though it has worked perfectly before.I have read through all the above but quite honestly it's all gobbledygook to me. I am using an iPad and when I have tried doing the suggestions above I get different pages.  I almost thought I had it at one point only for the iPad to tell me the server was offline.  Please help me, before I throw it all out of the window. 

This message was authored by JLRP51 This message was authored by: JLRP51

Hi, I followed @ This message was authored by:Dan+Cleary instructions  ( thanks!) and it worked for me.

The only thing I found is that after the online sky reboot my printer was still sitting in Address Reservation.

So I did a 'hard' reboot and pulled the plugs out of the sockets for the printer  and router .

That did the trick!

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion