Discussion topic: Sky Broadband Hub - Cat 7 Cable

This message was authored by DonLumioni This message was authored by: DonLumioni

Sky Broadband Hub - Cat 7 Cable

Hi All

Does anyone know is Cat 7 ethernet cables are compatible with Sky Broadband Hubs?

Typically just wired in a 15m Cat 7 cable from office to hub but not getting any connectivity or lights on the router. Cat 6 works fine.

Cheers

Best Answers
This message was authored by disco.citizen This message was authored by: disco.citizen Answer

Re: Sky Broadband Hub - Cat 7 Cable

Yes they work, recently recabled an internal run from the ONT (where the fibre comes into the house) to the hub and then an then a second CAT7 from the hub to my PC. 

Same speeds at with the previous CAT6 cable but as the cables weregoing  behind the skirting board I didn't  want to have to replace them again in a few years.

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by disco.citizen This message was authored by: disco.citizen Answer

Yes they work, recently recabled an internal run from the ONT (where the fibre comes into the house) to the hub and then an then a second CAT7 from the hub to my PC. 

Same speeds at with the previous CAT6 cable but as the cables weregoing  behind the skirting board I didn't  want to have to replace them again in a few years.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@DonLumioni 

Cat5e, 6, 7, 8 are functionally identical, and so are all 'compatible' with ethernet data transit.

The difference is in the cable construction to improve resistance to interference.

Cat-5e-vs-Cat-6-vs-Cat-7-vs-Cat-8.png

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@DonLumioni sounds like your cat 7 cable is either damaged or has mis-wired connectors. 

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion