Discussion topic: Sky Broadband DSL cant 74Mbit/s

This message was authored by ddd01 This message was authored by: ddd01

Sky Broadband DSL cant 74Mbit/s

Problem with Internet DSL connection
I have a tariff for 74 Mbit but only 60 can work, first, how was I allowed to have a tariff of 74 if they know that I have a DSL connection, and second, how can I get rid of eternal disconnections and set myself a stable 60 Mbit/s?

Best Answers
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood Answer

Re: Sky Broadband DSL cant 74Mbit/s

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@ddd01 wrote:

how was I allowed to have a tariff of 74 if they know that I have a DSL connection

Wholesale FTTC is sold to ISPs as 'up to' 40Mbs and 'up to' 80Mbs service, those being the maximum possible speeds on short and high quality copper lines.

@ddd01 wrote:

how can I get rid of eternal disconnections and set myself a stable 60 Mbit/s?

If the limiting factor on speed is the external copper line distance to the local fibre cabinet then realistically there's nothing a customer can do to remedy that except move house.  Disconnections should be reported as faults, but Openreach is increasingly prioritising their FTTP rollout over legacy maintenance.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood Answer

Re: Sky Broadband DSL cant 74Mbit/s

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@ddd01 wrote:

how was I allowed to have a tariff of 74 if they know that I have a DSL connection

Wholesale FTTC is sold to ISPs as 'up to' 40Mbs and 'up to' 80Mbs service, those being the maximum possible speeds on short and high quality copper lines.

@ddd01 wrote:

how can I get rid of eternal disconnections and set myself a stable 60 Mbit/s?

If the limiting factor on speed is the external copper line distance to the local fibre cabinet then realistically there's nothing a customer can do to remedy that except move house.  Disconnections should be reported as faults, but Openreach is increasingly prioritising their FTTP rollout over legacy maintenance.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion