Discussion topic: SNR margin

This message was authored by user4879 This message was authored by: user4879

SNR margin

If I restart the sky hub I notice my upload speed snr margin is 5.5 and that gives me more upload speed. How does this work?

I have left my sky hub on for weeks with out any restarts, but as soon as I shut it down for an hour and power it all back up My speeds are faster. Should I buy a router so I can tweak my snr margin, or could that allow too many errors on the line if I try and make my speed faster?

Best Answers
This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee Answer

Re: SNR margin

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@user4879 you cannot control the noise margin that is set by the cabinet's DLM system. In simple terms the higher the margin the more stable the service but at the cost of speed. Lower margins give faster speed but are more likely to be affected by interference and therefore to drop or throw errors. Openreach give ISPs three sets of parameters a fast, medium and stable set to choose from on this but you cannot get them changed as Sky only buy one which is the middle one.

The normal starting level is 6dB and levels significantly higher are indications of a fault. If the line is in reasonably good condition the cabinet can operate with margins down 3.2dB. Longer lines are more liable to pick up interference so often have adouble whammy of lower speeds due to attenuation and due to higher than ideal noise margin. The figure your system settles at is down to luck.

We are seeing more reports that Openreach are not willing to rectify known faults on copper lines as the planned switch to fibre gets closer.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@user4879 

The two optimal snr are 3 db downstream and 6db upstream or 6db downstream and 9db upstream depending on whether your cabinet supports g.inp vectoring . Any tinkering may let thru crc errors so best leave snr alone they will find their own levels

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee Answer

@user4879 you cannot control the noise margin that is set by the cabinet's DLM system. In simple terms the higher the margin the more stable the service but at the cost of speed. Lower margins give faster speed but are more likely to be affected by interference and therefore to drop or throw errors. Openreach give ISPs three sets of parameters a fast, medium and stable set to choose from on this but you cannot get them changed as Sky only buy one which is the middle one.

The normal starting level is 6dB and levels significantly higher are indications of a fault. If the line is in reasonably good condition the cabinet can operate with margins down 3.2dB. Longer lines are more liable to pick up interference so often have adouble whammy of lower speeds due to attenuation and due to higher than ideal noise margin. The figure your system settles at is down to luck.

We are seeing more reports that Openreach are not willing to rectify known faults on copper lines as the planned switch to fibre gets closer.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
user4879
Topic Author
This message was authored by user4879 This message was authored by: user4879

Noticed this in the system logs

Once the router rebooted it mentioned the following " syslog: [ 36.968000] Line 0: xDSL G.994 training"

Does this mean that the line is now in training?

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion