Discussion topic: SKY engineer left elderly couple with no working telephone or computer after broadband box install

This message was authored by Soundman56 This message was authored by: Soundman56

SKY engineer left elderly couple with no working telephone or computer after broadband box install

My frail octogenarian in-laws had a new broadband box installed and the engineer who did the work moved the telephone wire to a new location. In doing so he left them with no connected landline phone which they need for emergencies and staying in touch with family. He also didn't explain to them that they now had a new password for the internet or assist them with their computer or phone. Thankfully there was no emergencies in the lack of communication period but there could have been. Sky needs to have a word with their engineers about things like this to ensure other at risk folk aren't left in a similar situation.

All Replies

This message was authored by TechmanagerMal This message was authored by: TechmanagerMal

Re: SKY engineer left elderly couple with no working telephone or computer after broadband box insta

@Soundman56 wrote:

My frail octogenarian in-laws had a new broadband box installed and the engineer who did the work moved the telephone wire to a new location. In doing so he left them with no connected landline phone which they need for emergencies and staying in touch with family. He also didn't explain to them that they now had a new password for the internet or assist them with their computer or phone. Thankfully there was no emergencies in the lack of communication period but there could have been. Sky needs to have a word with their engineers about things like this to ensure other at risk folk aren't left in a similar situation.

It might help to sign them up with this team - https://www.sky.com/help/home/accessibility-information/accessibility-info-policies/vulnerable-custo...

Passing on the tips I have learned in over 24 years as a more than satisfied Sky customer.

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

Re: SKY engineer left elderly couple with no working telephone or computer after broadband box insta

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Soundman56 

I agree that the engineer shouldn't have left before checking the landline was working, maybe suggesting they rang a relative and asked for an immediate call back, but it wouldn't be the engineers role to "assist them with their computer". 

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion