Discussion topic: SKY Fibre not available, but I currently have Virgin Media Fibre?

This message was authored by RMahboob This message was authored by: RMahboob

SKY Fibre not available, but I currently have Virgin Media Fibre?

I just took out a a sky TV/Broadband package but didnt relize ive selected normal broadband... when checking what broadband was avaiable to me, it didnt give me an option for fibre!? Even though i currently have VM fibre.

I dont actually have a phone socket in the property...

Does anyone know if the engineer will do the work for this? also i spoke to someone over the phone who said when the engineer comes out he can do a line check and maybe able to offer the fibre connection at no extra price..... not holding my breath on that one...

Any guidence will help. Many thanks.

All Replies

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

Re: SKY Fibre not available, but I currently have Virgin Media Fibre?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@RMahboob 

Sky operate through openreach copper and fibre lines whilst virgin have their own co axial network.

Enter your full postal address below and post the table after removing your address from the image to see exactly what you are getting

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL/AddressHome

Re: the actual line best to contact sky to make sure they are aware that you have no line 

Call  sky on 150 from a sky mobile or
zero three three three seven five nine one zero one eight from any other phone

Or if in Ireland

Call sky ireland on

Remove all the full stops

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@RMahboob 

Virgin have very little fibre into customer premises: as @cookiemonsteruk indicates they are historically a cable television company and use their own private coaxial distribution to carry broadband too.  If you are actually on Virgin fibre, that's not available to other ISPs either: Sky (like BT and all similar ISPs) uses whatever infrastructure Openreach can provision at your address.  If there's no Openreach FTTP distribution locally then part of a Sky broadband installation would be the commissioning of a 'phone line' from Openreach: I've no idea what "when the engineer comes out he can do a line check and maybe able to offer the fibre connection at no extra price " is supposed to mean because an Openreach engineer putting in a copper cable cannot magically provide FTTP instead.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
RMahboob
Topic Author

Thanks for you help. heres the table.

RMahboob_0-1659955380363.png

RMahboob
Topic Author

Thanks for the info. Yes, have the VM cable coming in to the property and offer up to 1Gig connection.

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@RMahboob 

Speeds show close to 80Mbps. As i say do contact sky as when virgin install their broadband sometimes they remove the copper line and openreach database may still show a line

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@cookiemonsteruk wrote:

@RMahboob 

Speeds show close to 80Mbps.

Over VDSL, aka FTTC (Fibre To The Cabinet, then copper 'phone line' into the property), so would be branded by Sky as 'Superfast' broadband.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Laurentiu161996 This message was authored by: Laurentiu161996

Hello

I am moving into a property that does not have Sky ultrafast. Only 11mbps maximum

I know that they use Openreach, therefore i camt find any other provider being able to offer more than 11mbps.

Virgin Media is showin that they can offer  1Gig Broadband in same apartment. Can that be true ? Are they using different network? Or just error?

Thanks

This message was authored by daveNOS This message was authored by: daveNOS

@Laurentiu161996 Virgin Media have their own fibre/coax network so can offer higher speeds.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion