Discussion topic: SERIOUS SECURITY ISSUE - My broadband has up to 20 linked items I don't own.

This message was authored by JemimaJ This message was authored by: JemimaJ

SERIOUS SECURITY ISSUE - My broadband has up to 20 linked items I don't own.

Over the last few months I have communicated with Sky by phone and through Twitter chat.  It started when I couldn't access my Sky hub online to see why it was so slow - I kept seeing a Virgin page!  Then when I managed to access the correct information there were up to 20 items linked to my wifi that I don't own - other people's laptops, Ring Video Doorbells, sky boosters (I don't own one).

AND other people's Sky boxes.  So sometimes on my Sky Mini I saw SOMEONE ELSE'S RECORDINGS and  could not access my own.  I have reset everything, changed passwords, even been sent a replacement router but NOTHING WORKS!  I've now complained to Sky and am waiting for them to fix it but they just call (when I am working) then suggest I call the usual customer services number that hasn't helped before. I'm at a loss.  

This is  HUGE SECURITY ISSUE.  

Anyone have any ideas???

All Replies

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Re: SERIOUS SECURITY ISSUE - My broadband has up to 20 linked items I don't own.

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Hi @JemimaJ 

Are you using powerline adapters or any sort of 3rd party boosters?

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
JemimaJ
Topic Author

Re: SERIOUS SECURITY ISSUE - My broadband has up to 20 linked items I don't own.

Hi @jamesn123 - yes I have a Netgear extender.  So I unplugged it before resetting everything to see if there was any difference. Within 30 mintes I had Sky items linked to my WiFi that I don't own, which seems to show that the Netgear extender is not the problem.

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

@JemimaJ  Unless other people, know your wifi password then I can't see how they can connect to your hub.  Have you tried to change the wifi password?

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

JemimaJ
Topic Author

First thing I did was change the password.  It makes no difference.  If I don't regularly reset my Broadband Hub within a couple of days I have someone else's Sky TV recordings appearing on my Sky Mini box.

JemimaJ
Topic Author

Yes I've changed password.

Yes I've disonnected my Netgear Extender.

Yes I've been sent a replacement Sky hub with yet another new password.

My neighbours have never been in my house let alone been given my password.....

The issue persists - other people riding my WiFi, me being unable to use Sky Go because it finds 'another Sky box' which presumably belongs to one of my neighbours and 2 or 3 Sky items riding on my WiFi....

@JemimaJ  I can't see how that can be possible, if you have changed the password to your hub, then no other person can connect to it as they cannot know the password.

In addition the recordings you see may well be content pushed to your box by Sky and not through anyone outside your home having access.

Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

@JemimaJ 

The only way I can think of that happening is either via powerline contamination or linking extenders/boosters.

Did you reset the hub by holding the reset button for 20 seconds, immediately change the default WiFi password and then unplug/reset any boosters/extenders you have?

I am NOT a Sky Employee
JemimaJ
Topic Author

Yes I reset the hub by pressing the button.

And I unplug it and wait for a while and plug it back in.

@JemimaJ  Can you post a screen shot ofthe attached devuices from the hubs menu settings. Maintenance-Attached devices

@JemimaJ wrote:

Yes I reset the hub by pressing the button.

And I unplug it and wait for a while and plug it back in.

Thats not what I said, simply pressing the button & unplugging and plugging back in will do nothing. You need to follow the steps below exactly 

1. Unplug any 3rd party extenders/powerline adapters you have and leave them unplugged for the time being

2. Hold the reset button on the hub for a minimum of 20 seconds 

3. Once the hub has started back up login to the admin interface and change the WiFi password to something different

4. Reset and re-pair any Sky boosters you have NOT 3rd party extenders/boosters, leave these unplugged still

5. Go to settings > network on all your Sky Q boxes and reset the network settings and reconnect them to your hub

See if your problem still occurs. Note that you should still leave any Netgear, TP-Link etc extenders/booster you have unplugged until you have finished testing. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
JemimaJ
Topic Author

@GD1 @jamesn123 

Attached Devices

Here's the list I sent to  SKY customer services yesterday - I've identified what is mine.  As you can see there are several 'UNKNOWN' items and a Sky Booster - I don't have a Sky booster!

It would be marvellous if you can help as Sky have been monumentally unhelpful and I've spent hours talking or Twit messaging various people.

#

IPv4 Address

Device Name

MAC Address

UNKNOWN

02:0f:b5:51:6c:f1

UNKNOWN

02:0f:b5:69:b6:58

Win10-LAPTOP33 yes

02:0f:b5:2b:14:0c

UNKNOWN yes, Sharp TV

00:0c:43:48:c5:fb

UNKNOWN yes Sony TV

94:53:30:83:e9:ab

Pixel-3a yes

7e:9e:c2:68:d1:cf

EX6110 yes Netgear booster

02:0f:b5:98:4e:f6

UNKNOWN yes Toshiba TV

70:54:b4:15:6f:c5

SKY+HD Main Sky Q box

90:02:18:a8:ee:f9

SkyBooster4 NOT MINE

80:75:1f:d9:80:59

SKY+HD Sky Mini Box

b0:3e:51:1a:a9:fa

#

IPv6 Address

Device Name

MAC Address

fd3a:362c:ef77:0:988e:a20f:ac3b:7f6b fe80::f1a5:2343:1d6c:6503

UNKNOWN

c8:3d:dc:9c:ec:e6

fe80::2c81:2cff:fef3:2229

Maria-s-Galaxy-S20-FE-5G ~YES

02:0f:b5:f3:22:29

2a02:c7c:36b6:600:f43e:3a51:ddbf:c632 fd3a:362c:ef77:0:f43e:3a51:ddbf:c632 fe80::7c9e:c2ff:fe68:d1cf

Pixel-3a YES

7e:9e:c2:68:d1:cf

fe80::14fe:9618:5179:1dc6 2a02:c7c:36b6:600:3993:a10d:a67e:3c99

UNKNOWN

de:78:5c:e9:44:7b

fe80::1

UNKNOWN

78:17:be:db:83:4e

@JemimaJ  UNKNOWN device don't mean that other people have connected, these can be MAC addresses from  internet wifi/ ethernet cards & sky boxes (most likely your sky hardware) not other peoples.

As mentioned by @jamesn123  please folow his steps to reset everything.

JemimaJ
Topic Author

Hi @jamesn123 

I did that in May.

Exactly that, as directed by Sky Tech.  And with a new password I had to reconnect my 2 Sky boxes.

I didn't reinstall the Netgear extender until later - I don't have a Sky Booster but within 30mins (and before the Netgear was plugged in) someone else's sky booster was showing up in my list of attached devices.  

That's why they sent me a new broadband box.

The tech team seem to be at a loss.  

JemimaJ
Topic Author

@GD1 I understand - but you will see that there is a Sky Booster attached - I DON'T OWN A SKY BOOSTER!!!

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion