Discussion topic: Router located in cupboard

This message was authored by Ramone70 This message was authored by: Ramone70

Router located in cupboard

New install complete however our builder located the Openreach hub in an upstairs cupboard, subsequently so is the router.

is this ok or is it better to be relocated?

Best Answers
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood Answer

Re: Router located in cupboard

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Ramone70 

Personally I prefer to have devices on ethernet where possible, but then I wrangle networks for a living.

Might be useful to note that it's apparently possible to have Powerline network adapters between an ONT and a Hub (which bugs me because this really shouldn't work ; ) but on the higher Ultrafast speeds that could definitely create a bottleneck.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Ramone70 

It's not ideal, but seems to be a trend with builders.  The main issue is do you need to plug in a corded phone, or are you happy using DECT wireless handsets, and do you want to get ethernet cable to any devices?

Ramone70
Topic Author

We wouldnt need a landline just to ensure that we have sufficient wifi for working from home / sky stream etc .

the cupboard is upstairs both the sky stream and my working is done downstairs.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Ramone70 

Typically the aerial arrangement in a router means they provide less WiFi beneath them, and the construction materials involved in the building fabric will also have an effect.  I guess you could try it and see.

Ramone70
Topic Author

Would you recommend installing an ethernet connection for example in the living room to locate the router proving a less obsructed line of sight (and all wifi recipients being above)?

This message was authored by rjdiwb This message was authored by: rjdiwb

You have to simply try it to see how it goes. I may be fine or not. Normally you would prefer the router downstairs if that's your main place of work. 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood Answer

@Ramone70 

Personally I prefer to have devices on ethernet where possible, but then I wrangle networks for a living.

Might be useful to note that it's apparently possible to have Powerline network adapters between an ONT and a Hub (which bugs me because this really shouldn't work ; ) but on the higher Ultrafast speeds that could definitely create a bottleneck.

Ramone70
Topic Author

Update: i have located an ethernet socket next to hub. Could i connect hub to ethernet socket and then connect my router via another ethernet socket in a different room?

@Ramone70 wrote:

Could i connect hub to ethernet socket and then connect my router via another ethernet socket in a different room?

Yes, that should be the same as a single long ethernet lead as long as it's a contiguous cable path: it can't go through a switch though.

Ramone70
Topic Author

Based on my current findings ie the sockets are currently wired as phone but i have ether net sockets on order as the wiring is there, i doubt they have gone to the lengths of putting anything in between.

fingers crossed at least.

thanks for confirming @TimmyBGood 

@Ramone70 wrote:

ie the sockets are currently wired as phone but i have ether net sockets on order as the wiring is there

Unfortunately that's not going to work unless they happened to use actual ethernet cable as a substitute for phone cable: ethernet data transit requires four wire strands for 100Mbs and eight strands for anything faster, while most 'phone' cable used in extension wiring is twin strand.

Ramone70
Topic Author

Hi @TimmyBGood ,

update is bought two cat 6 ethernet sockets and wired up. Connected from hub to socket and other socket to router, no internet.

assuming wiring ok thinking wrong connection at hub.

there is third data cable which is connected via two couples one marke cable. Could this be the correct cable for the downstairs socket as it is not connected at the end?

not sure how to post a pic.

Ramone70
Topic Author

DA99F6DE-7262-419D-B230-BA14D6B3A371.jpeg

This message was authored by StuXxxxx This message was authored by: StuXxxxx

Cable at the top appears to be Virgin coaxial, but I expect you knew that.

Cable at the bottom does look like cat 5 or 5e.  (Cat 6 has a central plastic spacer, that I can’t see).  I will say that it’s some of the poorest wiring I’ve seen is 15 years in the trade.  (My apologies if you did it).  Three things I’d suggest:

1) Check the wiring is correct at both ends.  It should correspond to a standard known as 568B.  If you Google 568B it will give you the colour coding/pin out etc.

2)  Check that all the IDCs are fully punched down.

3) I seem to recall that cat 6 is slightly thicker wire than 5/5e.  There’s not a lot in it, but if you have used cat 6 sockets with cat 5 cable it is possible that the IDCs are not making a good enough contact.

I’m assuming you’ve already made sure both ends are connected to the same cable?

Ramone70
Topic Author

Hi @StuXxxxx 

im going on the basis the cabling is cat 6 as there was plastic centre core with string.

the ethernet socket is mine im afraid, however the other end is downstairs and this is the upstairs cupboard.

other than shorting two wires together im not sure how i could test continuity from downstairs.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion