Discussion topic: Ridiculously slow download speed for Xbox games?

This message was authored by SteveP79 This message was authored by: SteveP79

Ridiculously slow download speed for Xbox games?

Hi all (anyone)??

so I bought the all singing, all dancing Xbox a few days ago. I am trying to download a game (size 95 GB). 2 days later only 44% has downloaded, at a speed of 7Mbps..... am I missing something or doing something wrong? Or is that download speed ridiculously slow and I need to complain to Sky about it? Thanks I'm advance 

All Replies

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

Re: Ridiculously slow download speed for Xbox games?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@SteveP79  Please can you post your router stats so the forum can advise on any issues. This link explains how to do that https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Broadband/How-to-find-your-Sky-Broadband-router-stats/td-p/2855717#

Until you provide them you have no basis of a complaint as you are just assuming it's your broadband speed.  You would need to prove you have slow broadband speed.

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

SteveP79
Topic Author

@GD1  Thanks for replying, I'd this the page you mean? And would it suggest that my broadband is slow? Thanks 

667A3D61-A83F-4F26-9965-DA588E63BD77.png

@SteveP79  What speed does it say you should get here https://www.sky.com/mybroadband

And what speed where you told you would get?

I also notice that you use wifi exclusively, thayt may itself be a factor as the speed measured by all isps is to your router only.

Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

SteveP79
Topic Author

@GD1  does this answer any of your questions? I'm not tech savvy, but just know that it shouldn't take 3-4 days to download one game 🤷🏻‍♂️ My normal standard WiFi works ok. Why can't Sky have a number where you just call someone up and they run the diagnostics 🤯

66BC3EEF-7520-4D72-8A74-09C5FC6FB6C1.png

This message was authored by jaybee7 This message was authored by: jaybee7

I've got 500Mbps FTTP from Sky and it's turned out to be a massive disappointment when it comes games download speeds, connections take a painfully long time to climb to their available maximum and then they drop and climb again, and repeat.

The max speed I'm seeing is 205 Mbps via ethernet on a 500Mbps connection (not just on Xbox - PSN and Steam downloads are similar) and the slow ramp up in speed is even evident in web browsing, where eg Google maps is slow to load whenever the map is moved. 

When it eventually gets up to speed I'm getting the advertised speeds so Sky aren't interested, but it's a rubbish service and I wouldnt recommend it.

@SteveP79  I would give Sky a call as you are very much lower than the speeds you shoukd be getting, there does seem to be a fault.

SteveP79
Topic Author

Thanks for your help @GD1 I appreciate it. 

@jaybee7 sorry to hear they have over promised and under delivered to you too. I thought decent WiFi was a fairly standard service these days. Obviously not.

This message was authored by daveNOS This message was authored by: daveNOS

@SteveP79Your router stats show you have a 10mbps connection speed which is fairly slow, downloading a 98GB file over that connection wil take roughly 32 hours(based on a constant throughout of 7mbps and no-one else using the connection at all).

Based on the guaranteed minimum stated on your account and the router stats posted you clealry have a line issue that need addressing by Sky.

SteveP79
Topic Author

@daveNOS Thank you, it's appreciated. Seems like the only way you can chat to someone at Sky is to select the options to leave their services so that's what I'll do tomorrow and see what they have to say. Thanks for your advice. 

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@SteveP79 No need to waste your time trying to cancel just stay on the line when told to hang up and if you are patient you will get through.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@jaybee7 wrote:

I've got 500Mbps FTTP from Sky and it's turned out to be a massive disappointment when it comes games download speeds, connections take a painfully long time to climb to their available maximum and then they drop and climb again, and repeat.

I find the same thing on Steam over my BT Broadband 500Mbs FTTP: it's certainly not behaviour exclusive to Sky.

One variable is that the degree this happens varies depending on which hard disk Steam is writing to though, so it may well be associated with factors outside the broadband service too.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion