Discussion topic: Replace sky hub

This message was authored by OnlyHere4AReason This message was authored by: OnlyHere4AReason

Replace sky hub

Yup it's one of these threads again 😁

It's time to upgrade from the sky hub
Could anyone give me a list of routers to look at?  As my research just adds confusion as the reviews for the routers I look at say they do/don't work and are a bit conflicting. 

Are there any which can be stand-alone so I can remove the sky hub altogether? 

Had my eye on the Asus AX5400 will this work? 

Are there any others worth looking at up to or around the price of £150 gaming focused if possible?  

Thanks. 

All Replies

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

Re: Replace sky hub

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@OnlyHere4AReason 

All asus rt ax routers should work with sky

What connection do you have . Fttc superfast or fttp ultrafast.

Also do you have a actual model number for the asus

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
OnlyHere4AReason
Topic Author
This message was authored by OnlyHere4AReason This message was authored by: OnlyHere4AReason

Hi Cookie,

Fttc superfast is my connection.  Cannot even upgrade on this crappy connection.

For some reason, my line won't allow faster speeds even if I was willing to pay/upgrade  70/20 😞 

ASUS TUF Gaming AX5400 is what the listing header is on amazon. about £135

Thanks, I have a search for "Asus rt ax routers" and see what comes up.

Are these standalone or require sky hub too as I would like to remove the hub altogether.

Thanks

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@OnlyHere4AReason 

That is a router only. For superfast fttc you would need a combined modem router such as the asus dsl ax82u which is a gaming router or get a seperate standalone modem such as the draytek vigor 130 or tp link td w9970 to use with the ax5400

Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

OnlyHere4AReason
Topic Author

Ouch, £225 Is there anything a bit cheaper for a direct connection lol 

Buying both the modem/router is also going to be about the same price too. 

With pairing with the hub any of the "Asus rt ax routers" will work? 

Thanks cookie

@OnlyHere4AReason 

Is your landline plugged into your mastersocket or the back of the hub. If the latter the you would nef to retain the sky hub.  On the other hand for best gaming perfomance the asus needs to obtain the public ip and this can only be acheived with a seperate modem. Last time i looked the tp link td w9970 was £35. It can be tricky the set up in modem bridge mode but worth the expense as it will become disposible when fttp arrives. Then you get a fibre optic modem (ont) that your asus will directly connect to

OnlyHere4AReason
Topic Author

Cookie,

I have a Master socket on the wall, then a cable to the hub.

Been no mention of any upgrades from sky here. There were fiber cables installed in the street 18 months ago, not sky but 900/900 for £25 a month sky will never compete. I cannot wait for this but my block is on privately owned land and they are still sorting the legal side to allow installation into my home and said this may take another year to address 😞 

So for time being it's sky. As said I cannot even upgrade the speeds as my line is capped. Every house around me has virgin (culdesac). And I'm stuck with sky/bt as they never cabled this part. 

OnlyHere4AReason
Topic Author

Hello,

Before I commit to buying. Is this the only option the asus dsl ax82u for a standalone router without the sky hub being needed? 

Asus has a few classed as dls modems on there site are any of these worth looking at?

Whats about other brands worth looking at or is it solely Asus that offers a DSL router? 

Thanks

@OnlyHere4AReason 

The asus dsl ac86u and dsl ac88u are both gaming routers and the price differences are not that significant to that of the dsl ax82u. Maybe check out amazon for one of those at a cheaper price so you can invest in one of their wifi 6 asus rt ax routers at a later date when fttp arrives

The thing with combination dsl modem routers is that the usual dhcp option 61 authentication  won't work with fttp and your would be reliant on authenticating via dhcpv6 prefix delegation which can be hit or miss at certain exchanges

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@OnlyHere4AReason wrote:

For some reason, my line won't allow faster speeds even if I was willing to pay/upgrade  70/20 😞 

70Mbs is above average for FTTC.  The technology maxes out at 80Mbs.

I supect changing to a 'gaming' router will have minimal effect: having cabling from ISP router to games device is much more significant.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
OnlyHere4AReason
Topic Author

Hello, cookie,

So out the of three 82, 86, 88 which would you say is the best option?

From a quick search, they seem to be around the same price point. 

I have other families on sky so if/when I upgrade sometime in the future I can pass the router on to them.  

Thanks

@OnlyHere4AReason 

Personally i'd go for the asus dsl ax82u. Due to wifi 6 and aimesh , dedicated gaming port and the fact that it is not that much more expensive to the dsl ac88u

Please note when buying you make sure that it is the dsl model and that it is the ax

OnlyHere4AReason
Topic Author

Hello TimmyBgood

I have never been told this before.

Family members can get/order a lot faster speeds than I can. I just checked and they can order the ultrafast at 145mb.

This option from sky does not show for me as I would be willing to pay for this speed. Their cables are a lot older and have never been upgraded. My place is relativity new being 20 years old. When I check I am only offered the superfast. With the ultra, not even an option.

When I was with BT I was able to order their top package. But after testing it was clear my line would not reach their speeds and only gave there mid-priced option.

I am cabled directly with my main PC.  

Thanks

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@OnlyHere4AReason wrote:

Family members can get/order a lot faster speeds than I can. I just checked and they can order the ultrafast at 145mb.

Ultrafast 1 ('up to' 150Mbs) over copper uses G.fast: that's a technology still limited by phone line distance and quality, and ISPs will not accept an order for it where a subscription address won't get at least 100Mbs.

The same speed band is available over FTTP: G.fast is now a dead-end technology which won't be deployed into any new geographical areas.

Ultrafast 2 (500Mbs) and Gigafast is always FTTP.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

@OnlyHere4AReason 

For clarifiation could you enter you full postal address below and post the table after removing your address from the image

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL/AddressHome

And post your hub stats

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Broadband/How-to-find-your-Sky-Broadband-router-stats/m-p/2855717#M1014...

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion