Discussion topic: Ps portal drops in and out wifi

This message was authored by howdy12 This message was authored by: howdy12

Ps portal drops in and out wifi

Just upgraded to the new sky wifi max hub that's wifi 6 also got the gigafast speed too, I live in a terraced house so pretty small average house. My router is downstairs connected via wire to my skyglass and ps5, I also have a t.v in my bedroom with a stream puck. The connection to my t.v upstairs is faultless which I expect with fast broadband.  But my ps portal in the same room connects to the router but then drops wifi signal and loses connection which I never had with my other sky hub router but that was sky q. Do I need a sky booster for my room upstairs? And would it make a difference anyway as there must be good signal in my room as the t.v is faultless. 

All Replies

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Re: Ps portal drops in and out wifi

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@howdy12 you can check the connection your Stream puck receives by running the network test in the Get Help menu of the Netflix app. The Playstation portal should be getting similar speds assuming you haven't got other kit on top of it or hidden it in a corner. The portal requires a good connection back to your Playstation so you can be playing over two wifi connections so both need to be good. 

Boosters can cause as many issues as they solve however in a terraced property you are likely to have a lot of wifi interference from neighbour's networks. Adding a booster can potentially help but would need careful placement perhaps on the landing as it requires a strong connection to the hub or it can make spedds in your room worse not better.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
howdy12
Topic Author

Speed upstairs ranges between 300 and 400 which is plenty and ranges 700 to 900 downstairs.  🤔

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@howdy12 jitter is as important as bandwidth for gaming. There is nothing specific I can suggest unless there are multiple users in your household in which case the Sky hub could be struggling to keep up. If that applies buying a gaming router might help Asus units are essy to connect to Sky's services.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
howdy12
Topic Author

Cheers, which Asus would you recommend 👍 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion