Discussion topic: Potential scam call - internet speed

This message was authored by Highlinder This message was authored by: Highlinder

Re: Potential scam call - internet speed

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@floss13  You should be able to add talk shield to your line, this should stop these types of calls. In the link below you can activate it online, if there is an issue with that come back to us and we can direct you further.

https://www.sky.com/help/diagnostics/sky-talk-shield/using-sky-talk-shield 

If someone has helped give them Like.

If you have found this solution helpful please tick this as the answer.
This message was authored by Graham7a This message was authored by: Graham7a

This happened to me today. They phoned the landline - heavy Indian accents - claiming to be Sky and asked me to test the internet speed, claiming that I was not getting a consistent speed from .Sky Broadband I did this using a public service that doesn't require you to identify yourself. They then tried to get me to connect to a url - <removed> - which did have 'sky' in it, but looked a bit dodgy. In trying to find it (probably stupid of me) I came across a link to a report of a scam. I said to the person who called "is this a scam?" and she said "go to hell" and hung up! As far as I know I didn't give away any private information, but I wonder how they knew my landline number which is only known to  my close contacts!

So, it's still going on - be warned!

Moderator note: removed URL of scam site

This message was authored by JPR007 This message was authored by: JPR007

@Graham7a They probably didn't know your number, it's usually just pot luck as they use autodialling software that just dials random numbers to try and strike lucky, there's no real speciality behind it. As you didn't give out any personal details, you shouldn't have anything to worry about. 

The response from them suggests you frustrated them which is excellent. It's always good fun to play dumb and act along with it for as long as possible to waste their time before telling them where to stick it 😆

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Zen Superfast (FTTC), Fritzbox 7530, Sky Q 2TB UHD v3 (x1), Sky Q Mini (x2), Alienware Area 51-M, Panasonic TX-65HZ1000B, Denon AVR-X6300H, B&W CM8 S2, B&W CM1 S2 (x2), B&W CM Centre S2, REL S3 SHO (x2), Panasonic TX-P42G30B, Monitor Audio RS6, Marantz PM7001 KI, Denon HEOS 1 HS2 (x2), B&W P7, iPad Pro 12.9" (5th Gen), iPhone 14 Pro Max, iPad Mini 6 (work)

** No - I have nothing to do with Sky **
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Graham7a wrote:

I wonder how they knew my landline number which is only known to  my close contacts!

Typically automated dialling of UK numbers marked in the international telecoms market as being allocated to Sky Broadband subscribers: that's information circulated for routing and billing between providers, and doesn't have any personal data attached.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Gazbods This message was authored by: Gazbods

I have just received a call claiming to be from sky saying that my internet speed was low and that they were going to help. They gave me a specific web address to check the speed, and of course it was very low? 

They then asked me to open a major device like a computer etc. I told him that I don't have a computer, only a tablet or gaming machines and that I don't have a smartphone, which I do.

He asked me to download an app from playstore and when I did and opened the he asked me to give the IP address that was on the screen which sent me into alert mode. Nobody is going to access my devices and dig remotely. I just hung up and deleted the app. I then went on to Sky broadband internet speed test and it was very good. They telephoned again but I just hung up on them twice. 

So be aware that this is a total scam and nobody needs to have access to your device remotely.

This message was authored by Highlinder This message was authored by: Highlinder

@GazbodsYoucan switch on talk shield and this stops the majority of these types of calls from getting through. It can be done online via the like below.

https://www.sky.com/help/diagnostics/sky-talk-shield/using-sky-talk-shield 

If someone has helped give them Like.

If you have found this solution helpful please tick this as the answer.
This message was authored by Gazbods This message was authored by: Gazbods

Thanks Highlander did that yesterday after following your link

This message was authored by Tracey+Bryce This message was authored by: Tracey+Bryce

I have just had the same thing. 
move only moved to sky 2 weeks ago and have had some issues since joining, an Indian gent called me asked me to run a test via fast.com which I did as I'd only just been on web chat, he then asked me to open safari and go to another website for the life of me I cannot think what it was now, he then proceeded to shout at me telling me my broadband issue is my fault as I accept coookies and I should never do that. I hung up on him cos he just keeping having a go, he called me back apologised and said would call me later on. I'm worried that the webpage that he asked me to run might have got details from my phone, i didn't click on any of the links tho 

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@Tracey+Bryce if you did not follow any links you should be safe. Simply hang up on calls like this companies like Sky do not call you unless you have contacted them first. Its fun winding them up but unless you are confident dont try it.

By the by clicking to accept cookies is normally perfectly safe its the sites that install things without asking that are the issue which is why you should run security software and keep your operating system up to date.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Chrisee wrote:

@Tracey+Bryce 

its the sites that install things without asking that are the issue 

Anyone who can get a website to do a driveby installation into a modern browser / OS combination these days is probably doing something more lucrative with it than scamming domestic broadband users ; )

I think I last saw one of those work on IE8 sitting on Windows XP, which was about the last time I voluntarily used a Microsoft browser.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3

Absolutely a scam.

-------

Zen internet on G.fast (250Mbps down, 50Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion