Discussion topic: Potential scam call - internet speed

This message was authored by Louise+Tigers This message was authored by: Louise+Tigers

Potential scam call - internet speed

I've just received a call from someone saying they were from Sky and that my internet speed was down. Thought it was legitimate at first as they rang on my landline and I have never given anyone that number. I was asked to log on to google chrome and connect to ookla 5G map - because we couldn't understand each other (accents barrier) they then hung up. Has anyone else had this issue recently? Checked on sky  and my speed test was fine and above the minimum guaranteed.

Best Answers
This message was authored by Highlinder This message was authored by: Highlinder Answer

Re: Potential scam call - internet speed

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

This has been going on for sometime, not only on Sky but other users of other ISP's that are getting the very same calls. But your ISP will not call you out of the blue unless you have already called with a problem. There is more information what you can do below.

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/sky-scams 

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/dealing-with-nuisance-phone-calls-and-texts 

Also if you have Sky talk you can get Sky talk shield for free, more information about this can be found below.

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/sky-talk-shield-getting-started 

If someone has helped give them Like.

If you have found this solution helpful please tick this as the answer.

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Highlinder This message was authored by: Highlinder Answer

This has been going on for sometime, not only on Sky but other users of other ISP's that are getting the very same calls. But your ISP will not call you out of the blue unless you have already called with a problem. There is more information what you can do below.

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/sky-scams 

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/dealing-with-nuisance-phone-calls-and-texts 

Also if you have Sky talk you can get Sky talk shield for free, more information about this can be found below.

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/sky-talk-shield-getting-started 

If someone has helped give them Like.

If you have found this solution helpful please tick this as the answer.
This message was authored by Mayasha This message was authored by: Mayasha

I had a phone call from sky technician saying my internet speed was low and i will receive compensation and to give him access to my computer. The phone call took place for over 4hrs. It all could be genuine I'm not sure but if you could possibly help and let me know if this is true. 

This message was authored by GMorgan This message was authored by: GMorgan

This is almost certainly not genuine., sorry.  Do not do any internet banking or anything sensitive on your device until you are sure it's free of malware.

I had two calls this morning from what appears to be from a UK number (two different numbers) but both were almost certainly re-routed from India.  

Ths first caller hung up when my wife asked him to confirm who the account holder was (she knows it's only me verfiied to talk to Sky and a password is required).

I took the second call and decided to play along for a bit.  The caller claimed to be from Sky and said there was a problem with my broadband and I was at risk of malicious content being sent to my devices.  I said oh no that's terrible please help, thank you so much blah blah.  Anyway he went on to ask me to dowload an app on my iphone (can't remember what now but it began with QU and I made him spell it out).  I had to challenge him when the caller asked what options I was now seeing (of course I wasn't doing the steps he thought I was so I couldn't continue to play along at that point).  Once challenged he told me to put the phone in my **bleep** and used all sorts of colourful F-worded insults, nice!  

These scams are clearly doing the rounds.  

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Mayasha 

No, that's not genuine: it's a crime: Sky do not make such calls.  Unfortunately if you gave the caller remote access to a computer which you also use for banking, you need to contact your banks fraud department as soon as possible to alert them that your account(s) are almost certainly now accessible by someone else.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Mark-Br This message was authored by: Mark-Br

Hi @Mayasha 

I completely agree with what has been outlined above.

Especially if you've given them access to your computer, downloaded apps on their request or given any personal info across I'd get in touch with Action Fraud/Police Scotland (depending on your location)

You might also want to get in touch with your bank(s) to let them know as a precaution.

Please do take a look at the sky.com links shared by @Highlinder which will point you in the right direction.

Mark
Community Manager

This message was authored by GaryT58 This message was authored by: GaryT58

Yes, I've been having these calls for the last two weeks, I haven't got good hearing, so it's nearly impossible for me to understand them. But today the women on the phone wanted me to open all of my internet connections, mobile phones, IPads, Laptops and Computers. As she told me I can fix them all at the same time. If not she was going to shut down my internet connection. I told her that I will phone Sky myself to arrange this procedure. I put the phone down! PLEASE BEWARE,

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@GaryT58 wrote:

I told her that I will phone Sky myself to arrange this procedure.

Of course, there is no such procedure: it's entirely bogus.  Being instructed to switch everything on is a new wrinkle, though.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by YanyBabar This message was authored by: YanyBabar

I had a series of calls on my new Sky Landline number this morning. The caller got more and more irate when i said it was a scam and hung up. They want to pass you over to a senior technician, so i assume they have a load of people making calls and when they get someone that is actually going to take them seriously, they pass them over to a more experienced scammer who then accesses your computer and potentially all the things on it. 

This message was authored by YanyBabar This message was authored by: YanyBabar

I would assume this means that Sky's own systems have been breached and they have nicked a load of our home landline numbers to trawl through. This should have been reported and i would suggest we should be due compensation. 

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

@YanyBabar wrote:

I would assume this means that Sky's own systems have been breached

More likely that these scammers use software to randomly call people in the hope that they will get through to someone who is a Sky customer. If you have Sky Talk call Sky and get them to activate the Sky Talk Shield as this can help to block calls like this.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can
This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3

@YanyBabar 

More likely that @caesarome is 100% on the ball and it isn't that Sky has had a security breach.

I get calls claiming that my broadband will be disconnected in 24 hours by BT often, and I'm not even with BT for broadband, they are just ignored by me.

-------

Zen internet on G.fast (250Mbps down, 50Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.
This message was authored by EGus This message was authored by: EGus

I had them call me today with the same: states they are from Sky and I have low broadband speed. They asked me to go on to google and do a speed test and then said they would pass me on to a supervisor. You could hear the dialling of a number, but the same person came on the phone saying he is the supervisor! I said this was a scam and hung up. They called back 3 times,  I hung up and then blocked the number. Nuisance! 

This message was authored by floss13 This message was authored by: floss13

Just had this call from scammers - calling me regularly for around 8 months now.  Telling me my internet speed was slow and if I didn't let them fix it they would disconnect my internet.  I disconnected them first but can I get this number blocked?  They are calling my landline and its quite annoying.

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

@floss13 If you have Sky Talk you could get Sky to activate Sky Talk Shield or you could buy a landline handset that has call blocking.

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion