Discussion topic: Packet Loss When Gaming + Slow Oculus Downloads

This message was authored by Reece805 This message was authored by: Reece805

Packet Loss When Gaming + Slow Oculus Downloads

Hi All,

I'm considering switching away from Sky but i'd like to use the forum to try and have one last chance at resolving this issue that has plagued me all year. I seem to be getting quite a bit of packet loss when gaming and I get really slow downloads on my oculus quest 2 when updating or downloading from the quest store. This issue started occuring at the start of the year and I've even had my hub replaced along with switching all of my cables.

Packet Loss/My Setup

I currently use my pc which is wired tothe Sky Broadband Hub. I normally have the ping and packet loss statistics open on every game and I've never had an issue with this before to the point where the game is pointing out that I have a network issue. Could somebody help me with some troubleshooting steps or things that I can post here to help identify the issue? (I've tried resetting the hub and ensuring that my PC was the only connected device)

Slow Quest 2 Downloads

My Quest 2 download speed has drastically changed where a game that is 1gb is now taking 5 or 6 hours to download which isn't usual. I live in a small flat where I'm right next to the hub with no other wireless devices connected but I see this issue. As soon as I switch to my mobile 4g hotspot then the issue disappears and I get faster downloads. Please let me know what I can provide here to demonstrate the issue.

Thank you in advance.

All Replies

Reece805
Topic Author

Re: Packet Loss When Gaming + Slow Oculus Downloads

I've used Netlimiter 4 to find out the Valorant server I'm on and I get these results in PingPlotter. What does this mean?

Reece805_0-1656170077411.png

Reece805
Topic Author

And this is pingplotter which is tracking a rainbow six siege server. Here are my router stats also!

Reece805_0-1656171162858.png

Reece805_1-1656171203732.png

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Reece805 

So on your Valorant test the only place your have packet loss is the first hop to your Sky hub which points to a local issue with your hub, cable or PC.

On your second test, again the majority of your packet loss is on the first hop at the hub but there is also about 3% loss on a few outside hops.

My suggestion would be to try to connect a VPN on your PC then see if the packet loss is still present. This will tell you if the issue is to do with Sky's routing or your local setup/ the game server

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
Reece805
Topic Author

Thanks for your reply @jamesn123 ! My experience was alot worse over a VPN connected to the UK with much higher packet loss. 

Reece805_0-1656418463388.png

Was it free or paid VPN? Might be the symptom of an overused free VPN

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Reece805
Topic Author

It was a paid version of Hide My **bleep** and Proton VPN. I'm trying to think of a time when the issues first started to happen. I've tested on another PC (with a different cable) and the issue remains the same there. I remember a wire being changed that runs from my original socket to a new master socket and I wonder if this could have any impact.

@Reece805 

Can you describe your internal topology? 

Is it External line > Openreach Master Socket > Sky supplied ADSL cable > Sky Hub > Ethernet cable > PC or is there something missing/additional? 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@Reece805 

You seem to have 2 public ip addresses. Is there a 3rd party router between sky hub and you lan devices?

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up

@cookiemonsteruk wrote:

@Reece805 

You seem to have 2 public ip addresses. Is there a 3rd party router between sky hub and you lan devices?

Where are you seeing that?

I am NOT a Sky Employee
This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@Reece805 

@jamesn123  the skybroadband.com address and the bb.sky.com

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
Reece805
Topic Author

So my external line runs into a master socket which is where my sky broadband hub connects to via a dsl cable. My PC then connects to the hub via an ethernet cable. All of those parts have been changed and I'm getting the issue on another PC wired up in the same way.

Reece805
Topic Author

Very observant @cookiemonsteruk. There's nothing else in my setup aside from the sky broadband hub which is connected as explained above. 

@cookiemonsteruk wrote:

@Reece805 

@jamesn123  the skybroadband.com address and the bb.sky.com

Thats normal, its the IP addresses of the Sky routing servers and doesnt indicate the public IP.

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Reece805
Topic Author

Thank you for your help @cookiemonsteruk @jamesn123 

It seems that not even Sky was able to resolve the issue so I've had to take the risk of changing providers. Fortunatley the issue is now resolved since the change of providers and everything is back to normal as it was last year. It's a shame I had to switch but I just wanted to update you on the resolution of this weird issue. I now have no packet loss over my wired connection and the Oculus Quest 2 is downloading as normal again.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion