Discussion topic: fiber install

This message was authored by aw1000 This message was authored by: aw1000

fiber install

i am just about to make an upgrade to fiber with sky -do any extra boxes need to be installed - my neighbour has had an extra box installed outside his house through jurassic fiber- but i can see no mention of this on sky's info 

All Replies

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Re: fiber install

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@aw1000 Sky only offer services over Openreach's network they dont use any of the smaller Altnet networks like Jurrasic Fibre unfortunately.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
aw1000
Topic Author

ok thanks for the reply - but do BT openreach need to install another box ?

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@aw1000 

It depends what upgrade you are doing with Sky. If you are upgrading from Superfast to Ultrafast then the likelihood is that Openreach will come and install the fibre line to your house which will result in a small box on the outside of your home where the cable comes in and then a white box on the interior where it feeds into an ONT which then connects to your router

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@aw1000 

In Openreach terminology the external box is the 'Customer Splice Point'*: this houses spare length on the four-core optical drop cable, one core of which is fusion spliced to the fibre pigtail that is brought inside the property.  The CSP is typically as near as possible to the duct or pole bringing the fibre to the address, but may be some distance from the entry point into the building.

*Sometimes Customer Service Point.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@aw1000 first question should be do Openreach have fibre in your road its not a given they have as only around a third of addresses have been passed so far?

You can check by using the checker here https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL/AddressHome by entering your full address you are looking for a line mentioning FTTP (not FTTP on demand which is different) and then over to the right what it says under FTTP Install Process. If you post the result obscure your address details.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
aw1000
Topic Author

@Chrisee fiber was all installed in the street about a week ago, but i have been given so much mis infomation about installation and what the process is - but it is much clearer thanks to the info given on here  

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion