Discussion topic: PS5 + Sky Fibre

This message was authored by Lorty This message was authored by: Lorty

PS5 + Sky Fibre

Hi,

Recently got a 500mb sky fibre line installed with a the new sky broadband hub. Whilst speeds seem to be fairly decent on speed checks sometimes fluctuating when I connect my ps5 through Ethernet cable down load speeds are averaging 150mbs. What I find strange if I do a hard reset on the router it gives me around 350mbs for a short while then falls right back down. It seems to me that the port is not allowing to run at full speed. Has anyone got this issue and do they know a work around?

Best Answers
Lorty
Topic Author
This message was authored by Lorty This message was authored by: Lorty Answer

Re: PS5 + Sky Fibre

I have finally resolved the issue. 

I have a sky q hdr 2gb box and i was plugging this directly into the new sky broadband hub. When plugged in using an ethernet connection the q box limits all the ethernet connections on the router to around 150mbs as this is the max speed it can process. If you remove the ethernet and use wi fi the hub works properly and i am now acheiving the correct download speeds of around 500mbs.

it is frustrating the sheer volume of people i spoke to that were trying to sell me new products and simply were trying to get me go away by saying wait until the line has settled etc. frustrating that sky dont acknowledge this as a fault with their equipement and the answer from one of their employmees was just cancel your contract.....

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Lorty the server you connect to can control the speed and may be mimiting the bandwidth to allow more people to connect at once. If a reliable speed test shows the full bandwidth which for a direct ethernet cable should becaround 500Mb/s then your network is operating properly. If you use things like powerline adapters in the connection to the hub though they can limit throughput.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
Lorty
Topic Author

Hi I'm not using anything other than a direct 1.5m Ethernet cat5e cable 

This message was authored by paulg78 This message was authored by: paulg78

As a fellow gamer , I have discovered this is more than likely the Servers you are downloading from than your broadband connection  itself.

I'm a PC gamer and I very rarely get a full speed download over my 900Mbit connection to the Steam servers.

Try downloading at different times of the the day if your able to as Server traffic varies.

Game servers as getting busier as it seems their slow at upgrading their CDNs the faster  home internet connections get

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@paulg78 wrote:

Game servers as getting busier as it seems their slow at upgrading their CDNs the faster  home internet connections get

Realistically it's unlikely that such companies are going to be willing to invest the silly amounts of money required to permit users to saturate 500Mb and Gigabit FTTP whenever they wish.

Sometimes it's actually OK to expect people to wait a while for things.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
Lorty
Topic Author

Totally disagree with this. There is an issue with the connection that is causing poor speeds. Other people have no problem achieving high speed mine is capping at 130-150mbs so why can others get better speeds. I realise it won't be like that all the time the point is my line is only downloading at 150mbs when the line is handling 500mbs 

Lorty
Topic Author

Thanks, I have tried and it is just always running at around 130-150. Totally appreciate network traffic etc but other people get much faster downloads so what is holding mine back? 

Lorty
Topic Author

Probably best you come off these forums, someone here asking for advice if they know a reason for the slow speed not just you opinion of why I should just accept to be slower than other users..... 

I don't own a PS5 but have done a little digging around

I'm not sure if you've connected your console to your WiFi connection previously but 

the PS5 has a tendency of still using a wifi connection whilst an ethernet cable is connected.

This information is widely available through google .

if you have another device like a laptop etc which can do a wired speed test then this would be adviseable 

If your speed test shows your getting full speed your paying for then that's great and hopefully it's a few settings 

If your still low then I certainly be on the phone to sky and get them to sort it 

Lorty
Topic Author

Appreciate your help here. I have tried deleting and resetting up all the connections still no luck. I am going to try a cat6 cable instead of a cat5e but I really don't think that will help. If that fails I'll try sky again unless anyone else has any other ideas? 

Your Cat 5e cable is not that capable with your speed 

Good luck in resolving your issue ,

Sorry , Typo , 

Cat 5 e is more than capable to handle your speed

Lorty
Topic Author

Yeah I know sky asked me to try it. So I'll try it. 

Lorty
Topic Author
This message was authored by Lorty This message was authored by: Lorty Answer

I have finally resolved the issue. 

I have a sky q hdr 2gb box and i was plugging this directly into the new sky broadband hub. When plugged in using an ethernet connection the q box limits all the ethernet connections on the router to around 150mbs as this is the max speed it can process. If you remove the ethernet and use wi fi the hub works properly and i am now acheiving the correct download speeds of around 500mbs.

it is frustrating the sheer volume of people i spoke to that were trying to sell me new products and simply were trying to get me go away by saying wait until the line has settled etc. frustrating that sky dont acknowledge this as a fault with their equipement and the answer from one of their employmees was just cancel your contract.....

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion