Discussion topic: Openreach have lied

This message was authored by Laura98 This message was authored by: Laura98

Openreach have lied

I ordered sky 3 weeks ago as I use to be a virgin media customer, so I went for sky glass and ultrafast internet. 

the tv came after 3 days which was great but the internet was booked for today 10/11 so u extended virgin till then at a ridiculous price as my contract was up and I could only extend my full pack no just the internet. 

today has come and I have waited in all day and have had to swap my days work for tomorrow as I was told I would need to be in for some internal work. 
I have received a message off Openreach saying they couldn't carry out the work as I wasn't in.  I live opposite the Openreach box and can see it through my window, I seen a van pull up and expected them to knock the door but they didn't and just drove off. Nobody has knocked the door as I have a dog who barks every time someone knocks the door so there is no chance I would have missed it.

I have rang sky and their now saying because I missed an appointment it's a charge of £25 but they will not charge me out of good faith which is a joke as I was in all day so there was no way I would of paid it anyway and they also said they won't charge me for the internet untill it's up and running. 
A open tech box turned up on he outside of the house at some point in the week, so all it left them to complete was the Internal work.

The issue is now I have no internet as I can't extend virgin as it's the day I gave for termination and the next Openreach engineer visit is 8 days away which if anything like today they will just lie and say I'm not in again.  I can't even use the sky glass tv to watch tv but I am paying for it. 

I was just querying where I stand because I feel like just cancelling all sky as they haven't upheld their part of the contract by activating my services on the date they stated and either sky or Openreach have just lied through their teeth. 

I could ring virgin today and sign up for a new contract and be turned on tomorrow but sky can't get open reach out for 8 days to do the internal work which I imagine is just run a cable which would take any good engineer 10 minutes at best. 

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: Openreach have lied

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Laura98 wrote:

sky can't get open reach out for 8 days to do the internal work which I imagine is just run a cable which would take any good engineer 10 minutes at best. 

'Ultrafast internet' and 'open tech box' suggests FTTP, which takes rather longer than ten minutes to do a second-stage installation and can only be carried out by a team trained and equipped for optical cable fusion splicing: unfortunately such personnel are in short supply.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
Laura98
Topic Author

They fitted all external works in the week. So im sure its just running the from that box into the house to another box. The hard work has been done, and that's not the issue it's the fact they have lied and said I wasn't in and have now left me and my kids with no internet and tv for at least 8 days. 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Laura98 wrote:

So im sure its just running the from that box into the house to another box.

No: an optical pigtail has to be fusion-spliced to one of the four glass strands in the external box and then brought inside to an ONT.  There are only a handful of Sky staff and a small percentage of Openreach personnel trained and equipped for that task: the vast majority still only work with copper connections.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
Laura98
Topic Author

@TimmyBGood wrote:

@Laura98 wrote:

So im sure its just running the from that box into the house to another box.

No: an optical pigtail has to be fusion-spliced to one of the four glass strands in the external box and then brought inside to an ONT.  There are only a handful of Sky staff and a small percentage of Openreach personnel trained and equipped for that task.

Ok maybe it takes longer but at the end of the day don't lie and say I wasn't in because they couldn't or didn't have the time to do the job. 

I never had a bad experience with virgin and only changed because I liked the look of the sky glass tv and I am regretting my decision now after being called a lier and being left with no tv and internet 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion