Discussion topic: Openreach FTTP install delay question

This message was authored by GeeksGeek This message was authored by: GeeksGeek

Openreach FTTP install delay question

Ive been told my FTTP install will be delayed by Openreach. No date given as to when it will be installed.

Now i have signed up for Sky Gigafast... It has triggered the cancellation of my BT Broadband.

What should i do as i need some sort of broadband connection in the house. Do i need to get Sky to sort out a temporary solution OR contact BT to pause cancellation? Or what?

All Replies

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Re: Openreach FTTP install delay question

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@GeeksGeek your BT cancellation should not take effect until your new line is installed. This should happen automatically but its worth talking to BT to check.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@GeeksGeek 

Sky don't have a 'temporary solution' for that: no ISP will order FTTC while waiting for FTTP (because that would turn the subscription loss-making over a minimum term) and Sky won't offer cellular data in the interim.

In theory during a one-stop switch (as designated by Ofcom) the service from the old ISP doesn't cease until that from the new one is ready to go, but FTTC to FTTP upgrades while also changing ISP sometimes seems to break this model.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Vestas This message was authored by: Vestas

Well they might have to as being the gaining provider they are responsible for compensation due to a failure to provide service on the contracted date.

Sky WILL be getting compo from Openreach for the delay.

GeeksGeek
Topic Author

Sky is now telling me i wont be entitled to any compensation as they have not provided a fixed date for installation!?

They say the delayed open reach visit is subject to change and not a confirmed date.

BUT I have an email telling me my Sky gigafast activation date is November 3rd. 

I'm now getting updates from Sky telling me openreach continues to delay installation with no fixed date for work to be completed.

Meanwhile, my BT FTTC g-fast broadband is schedueld to end on Nov 3rd as Sky insructed them i was moving my broadband to Sky.

What should i do?! See screenshots below

Screenshot 2022-10-21 at 19.45.46.pngScreenshot 2022-10-21 at 19.46.07.png

This message was authored by Highlinder This message was authored by: Highlinder

@GeeksGeekHow can Sky move you over if they are unable to provide the service that you have signed up for. Are they willing to leave you without broadband?

This is the question you should be asking Sky. If they are unable to provide the answers, then I would call BT and stop the move.

If someone has helped give them Like.

If you have found this solution helpful please tick this as the answer.
GeeksGeek
Topic Author

Here's the latest

Openreach came to my property and put a new cable box on exterior of my house and connected it to cables further down the street. I assumed that meant all I needed now was sky to visit to run cable into house and fit the ONT etc. 

apparently not

Not only have they now delayed sky visit until December... I just had this message from Sky saying open reach still have more work to do

A8A19DC1-6708-49BE-B462-191C57A87D57.png

At what point does the automatic compensation kick in? 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@GeeksGeek wrote:

At what point does the automatic compensation kick in? 

Any compensation isn't paid until the delayed service is actually activated, because otherwise the length of time, and so the sum involved, is unknown.

It will come down to whether you actually received a start date or not: you may need to be persistent in insisting that you did.  There was a post here recently where a Sky customer received an very substantial amount in similar circumstances.

Problem

A landline or broadband customer would be entitled to compensation if… Amount of compensation
Delayed repair following loss of service Their service has stopped working and it is not fully fixed after two full working days. £8.40for each calendar day that the service is not repaired
Missed appointments An engineer does not turn up for a scheduled appointment, or it is cancelled with less than 24 hours’ notice. £26.24 per missed appointment
Delays with the start of a new service Their provider promises to start a new service on a particular date, but fails to do so. £5.25 for each calendar day of delay, including the missed start date.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/costs-and-billing/automat... 

GeeksGeek
Topic Author

Sky have given me at least two different dates for activation: in writing. Was Nov 4th. Then they changed it to dec 11th. 

bur when I tell them this and mention compensation they insist the dates were never confirmed and thus I'm not entitled to compensation?! 

@GeeksGeek 

Like any other dispute, if you choose to make a formal complaint about a Sky decision and can't reach agreement then you can request independent arbitration.

I suspect the Ofcom scheme wasn't designed with the kind of issues and potential delays that FTTP can encounter in mind.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion