Discussion topic: ONT Only Ethernet

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Re: ONT Only Ethernet

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Jake150 the lights mean there is power and an optical signal to the unit. The LOS light not being lit is correct. The LAN light wont light until a hub is connected so try that as the next step. 

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Jake150 

Just for clarity, have you also ordered Sky Q (satellite) television?

I'm still puzzled by ' the engineer said he can't install as would need to get on the roof  ' which just isn't relevant to either a pre-existing ONT or an underground optical feed, but could very well refer to a satellite dish.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
Jake150
Topic Author
This message was authored by Jake150 This message was authored by: Jake150

We have only ordered broadband, not any satellite (or even phone) - we were also confused by this.

I spoke to a sky rep yesterday as needed to rebook installation. I asked whether we could cancel this order and go online and order new package, with one that says hub can be sent and remotely activated. He said to let this installation happen and then upgrade to fibre.

He mentioned that my order is not a full fibre order as this was not available at time of order, but if I was to order now it would be. openreach did not have flat listed as separate property originally but do have now. Feel like sky rep is giving me the run round and I should just cancel and order the full fibre.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Jake150 

With a live ONT in place, the assumption should be that any ISP using the Openreach network would only place an order for service over FTTP, even if it's for a 'Superfast' speed.

Somewhere Sky appears to have got confused, unless this is one of the locations where they don't yet resell FTTP even though Openreach have plumbed it in.

Jake150
Topic Author

I see - I know this is probably asking more than normal requests, but what is your advice/instinct? Should I keep this current order or shall I cancel it and order one of the ones online which doesn't require engineer and says just remote activation?

@Jake150 wrote:

He mentioned that my order is not a full fibre order as this was not available at time of order, but if I was to order now it would be. openreach did not have flat listed as separate property originally but do have now.

That would certainly complicate things, and I really don't know how they'd expect to complete an order for copper service, particularly as it sounds like there's no master socket and line.

Perhaps cancelling and then ordering Ultrafast is the way to go, although I suspect that puts you back on a waiting list even though the optical infrastructure is all there ready to work..

Jake150
Topic Author

 This is what I get online when I select full fibre 100 - reinstall date for my current order is 19th Feb so surely the below/reordering is better?

IMG_9396.png

@Jake150 

That makes sense: all they have to do is ship a Sky Broadband Hub.

There's unfortunately the possibility that this all gets snarled up with the previous order for what's presumably a copper service, but I don't see how that can progress anyway.

Jake150
Topic Author

Surely if i just cancel the order on the phone and then re order via the website it should be fairlt straightforward you would think?

@Jake150 

I'd hope so, yes.  I'm just indicating that sometimes there are unexpected side effects from part-progressed orders, but in this case the presence of FTTP should trump anything over copper.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion