Discussion topic: ONT Connected, no internet light

This message was authored by Naessie This message was authored by: Naessie

ONT Connected, no internet light

Hey folks,

Got a bit of a story here! 

Early today I had a openreach engineer come and install an ONT box into my home for gigabit internet! Things seemed to be going smoothly until I overheard him say he can't establish a connection to someone from openreach on his phone. The openreach employee on the phone said it looks like there's a "mystery issue" at the exchange or somewhere in between the exchange (the CBT? Can't remember the exact acronym!), and a cable may need to be respliced. 

The engineer then popped off in his van somewhere to fix the issur. I had a look at the ONT and noticed the PON light was flashing so I figured this meant a connection is still trying to be established. Shortly after the engineer left I received this text from him

Hi it's the fibre engineer

Everything is done and all setup ready but

I've had to phone bt to get the pole changed as the one you were assigned to wasn't suitable, this may take a while before the service comes through, in the next 20 mins if you can pull out the white plug to reset the white box on the wall this may kick it in faster for you, pls keep me updated how it's getting on, Thanks"

Not entirely sure what he means by having the pole changed as it's not suitable. Earlier in the day my neighbour also had FTTP fitted in their home and they're also coming from the exact same pole as me, so I'm a little confused as to why it's suitable for my neighbours but not for me? Strange!

Anyways,  I waited 20 minutes and noticed the PON light finally turned solid green even without it resetting, meaning a connection has finally been established. Then my FTTC internet with PlusNet deactivated my shortly after, and I then received a text saying I should now plug in my sky hub, which I did. But the internet light refuses to turn on even after waiting until midnight - it doesn't even bother to flash amber or attempt to make a connection of any kind. I tried all the typical troubleshooting methods; rebooting the router and ONT, resetting the router, trying different Ethernet cable, etc.

Unfortunately none of this worked so I gave sky a call and talked to a lovely woman who talked me through similar troubleshooting steps which ultimately
 didn't work. I then had to send pictures of my ONT and the back of my router to prove they've been set up properly, and to evidence I do infact have an active connection to the ONT. She then forwarded these pictures to the networking team who ran a line test and checked their systems to see if the line was set up/activated. She confirmed after 2 line tests, and having the network team check the backend systems, that everything appears to be running smoothly on their end; but for whatever reason my router can't establish a connection. Thankfully an engineer has been booked to pop out tomorrow between 8am and 1pm to have a look. But I have this nagging feeling they'll say they can find nothing wrong and I'll have to chase up Sky again.  

In the mean time I've tried a few more things. My sister recently left Sky FTTP for PlusNet and still has her sky broadband hub, plus a spare broadband hub sky sent by accident. So I know for a fact they work since she recently packed it away for shipping back to Sky. I figured I'd try them both to rule out the router being at fault.  I set them up with their respective cables and still no internet connection at all, even after trying the two additional routers. One thing I noticed  within the maintenance section on all 3 routers is the WAN port section stating " WAN Port Status - Disconnected | Port Detail - None" which I found to be odd. The Port 4 WAN lights flash on all the routers and the LAN light on the ONT activated when I plugged all 3 routers in. So clearly the routers are not at fault and it's an external issue with either the exchange, installation, or with sky.

What do you all think the issue may be? I understand this is a community forum and I don't expect my issues to be sorted here, but I figured I'd post to get some opinions. I noticed @Galmis had a very similar issue on their thread but no updates have been posted  - https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Broadband/No-internet-after-activation/m-p/4085050

I do apologise for the long post! Hopefully someone out there who went through something similar can inform me how their issue got sorted out.

Thanks for reading! 😁

Best Answers
This message was authored by Mr+Slant This message was authored by: Mr+Slant Answer

Re: ONT Connected, no internet light

Sounds like Openreach connected your FTTP connection to the wrong splitter port at the exchange/head end. If the PON light is now a solid green but you still can't connect then its likely that the database hasn't been updated yet/correctly. Sky probably just need to prod Openreach into checking it, shouldn't need you to do anything or Openreach to visit again.

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Tagbo This message was authored by: Tagbo

Sky service is utter appalling and has been for quite sometime.  I'm having near identical problems and not one of their useless employees can help.

Naessie
Topic Author

Hmm, that's not good 😕 I'll see how the engineer visit goes later and decide what to do then. If they can't fix anything via engineer or over the phone I'll just have to change ISP since I am still within my cooling period. Unfortunately my FTTC internet is disconnected so I've got no internet at all. Hopefully my neighbour will be kind enough to share their wifi password!

This message was authored by Mr+Slant This message was authored by: Mr+Slant Answer

Sounds like Openreach connected your FTTP connection to the wrong splitter port at the exchange/head end. If the PON light is now a solid green but you still can't connect then its likely that the database hasn't been updated yet/correctly. Sky probably just need to prod Openreach into checking it, shouldn't need you to do anything or Openreach to visit again.

Naessie
Topic Author

Your timing couldn't have been more perfect, @Mr+Slant!

The engineer arrived shortly before you replied. He seemed rather bemused by the whole thing and wasn't sure what was wrong. I happen to notice you replied within my emails and decided to have a look. I read out what you said and that seemed to trigger a thought for the engineer. He popped off for a bit, came back and manually reset the connection with with someone over the phone at Openreach step by step from the exchange to my home. Turns out it the splitter port was wrong and a manual reset managed to fix it. Thanks so much for suggesting this!

This message was authored by Mr+Slant This message was authored by: Mr+Slant

What are the odds of that happening? 😁

Glad it helped. There's not much that can go wrong with an FTTP install other than cable/CBT damage, wrong port connection on the splitter or a database error.

IIRC if you're on the wrong port then its 14 (might be 13) short flashes then one long flash on the PON LED, but that shouldn't happen to you now. There's a range of other LED responses which are diagnostics but frankly I can't remember them, nor can I find the PDF which details the ones specific to Openreach firmware on the ONT.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion