Discussion topic: Not getting wifi in every room.

This message was authored by Jawini This message was authored by: Jawini

Not getting wifi in every room.

Im not getting wifi in every room of my house or it drops in and out. I have just purchased sky ultrafast broadband which has a wall to wall wifi guarantee but after calling sky help, the lady told me i needed to pay £8 more a month on top to actually get wifi in every room. This can't be right? I have tried all the steps to improve the signal like resetting and changing channel but nothing is working. And waited the 14 days past the live connection. But no luck. I live in a granite house so the signal is not great but i was with bt broadband before and they sent out a booster and i had no problems for years. It just seems like sky doesn't want to help, their answer is pay more. What can i do?

Best Answers
This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee Answer

Re: Not getting wifi in every room.

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Jawini in many homes a single wifi router does not provide decent wifi in every room especially if you have more than 2 levels or its a home with solid walls like yours. The extra cost is for Sky's Wifi Max package which gives you a.newer router with fastercWifi and up to 3 extenders if one of their engineers agrees you need one to get a minimum of 25Mb/s in every room in the house. There is a chaper Broadband Boost bundle at £5 per month which will provide a booster if you need one but a lower guaranteedd speed of 3Mb/s. Many Sky customers have their Sky Q TV boxes which also act as. Wifi extenders.

Those are not your only option though you can buy third party wifi systems designed to give wifi through out the home. While boosters have their uses, with full fibre and its higher speeds, they rarely work that well far better are wifi mesh systems with faster back haul. Personally I use a 3 unit third party Wifi system from TP-Link that cost roughly £100 and gives me fast wifi (over 100Mb/s) in every room on 3 levels. 

You also can buy a third party router system but not every whole home wifi system can be connected directly to the ONT. 

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee Answer

@Jawini in many homes a single wifi router does not provide decent wifi in every room especially if you have more than 2 levels or its a home with solid walls like yours. The extra cost is for Sky's Wifi Max package which gives you a.newer router with fastercWifi and up to 3 extenders if one of their engineers agrees you need one to get a minimum of 25Mb/s in every room in the house. There is a chaper Broadband Boost bundle at £5 per month which will provide a booster if you need one but a lower guaranteedd speed of 3Mb/s. Many Sky customers have their Sky Q TV boxes which also act as. Wifi extenders.

Those are not your only option though you can buy third party wifi systems designed to give wifi through out the home. While boosters have their uses, with full fibre and its higher speeds, they rarely work that well far better are wifi mesh systems with faster back haul. Personally I use a 3 unit third party Wifi system from TP-Link that cost roughly £100 and gives me fast wifi (over 100Mb/s) in every room on 3 levels. 

You also can buy a third party router system but not every whole home wifi system can be connected directly to the ONT. 

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Jawini 

As you have discovered, the rather unfortunately named 'Wall to Wall WiFi Guarantee' is not actually a guarantee of WiFi at all: it offers a small refund if there isn't wireless coverage, and is essentially a lead generator for the marketing of a subscription supplement.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion