Discussion topic: Not all ethernet ports producing gigabit speeds?

This message was authored by InternetExplorer This message was authored by: InternetExplorer

Not all ethernet ports producing gigabit speeds?

I got my gigabit sky broadband installed today. I have a rather complex home setup with two ethernet lines going from the router through the house - one directly into a pc and the other into a switch from which it goes to more pcs/waps etc. 

I am using two cat 6 cables

When using port 1 and 3, port 1 gets the full gigabit speed, where as port 3 gets a max speed of 100mbps

When using port 1 and 2, they both only get 100mbps.

Is there something within the configuration that I've missed?

Why are they not both at gigabit speeds???

Best Answers
This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3 Answer

Re: Not all ethernet ports producing gigabit speeds?

@InternetExplorer 

Absolutely agree, it is usually ethernet pin alignment in the ethernet socket that is the issue, eg: a bent pin.

-------

Zen internet on G.fast (250Mbps down, 50Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3

@InternetExplorer 

There is no reason all ports shouldn't run at 1Gbps unless the ports, cable or other pieces of equipment aren't set up correctly or are faulty, eg: either all ports on the router running at 100Mbps or 1Gbps and that is the only setting available in the router and you have it set at 1Gbps which is default.

-------

Zen internet on G.fast (250Mbps down, 50Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.
InternetExplorer
Topic Author
This message was authored by InternetExplorer This message was authored by: InternetExplorer

I've tested both cables and I know they can both run the full gigabit speed, so thus the logical conclusion would be that one of the ports is faulty?

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@InternetExplorer  Is it possible that the device you are attaching isn't capable of 1gbps speed?  How are you testing the ports?

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3 Answer

@InternetExplorer 

Absolutely agree, it is usually ethernet pin alignment in the ethernet socket that is the issue, eg: a bent pin.

-------

InternetExplorer
Topic Author

Connecting Directly to my laptop which is more than capable of gigabit speeds, so I'm assuming its a fault with the router

InternetExplorer
Topic Author

The only thing I'm still slightly confused about is why port 1 gets gigabit speed when port 2 is not in use, but only gets 100mbps when port 2 is in use..?

This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3

@InternetExplorer 

A short across pins because it is bent and touching another pin, eg: that causes a pair to not work and knocks the speed down to 100Mbps?

-------

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion