Discussion topic: No internet for 24+ hours

This message was authored by DanL This message was authored by: DanL

No internet for 24+ hours

We had a power cut yesterday and when the power came back, the internet did not. 

I have Sky Fibre, with an Openreach modem box on the wall connected to a Sky Hub.

The Openreach modem has a power light, and every few minutes the 'LAN' light flashes for 20 seconds, but no other lights at all. The Sky Hub shows power, wifi works, but no Voice or Internet lights. 

I've reset the lot several times to no avail.
I've logged a request for help through the MySky app, which generated a text within an hour to tell me my issue was 'resolved'. It was not resolved!

I logged another request for help through the MySky app, and have heard nothing since. 
Any checks to my service show a fault, but state no known local issues.
Via a local Facebook group, I have found 4 others with the same issue!

Is it not possible to speak to someone at Sky anymore to find out a) if there is a problem and b) if my request for support has even been logged? 

Apologies for my tone .. just a tad annoyed. 

All Replies

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

Re: No internet for 24+ hours

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@DanL 

What colour are the lights on the ont.  Is the pon light green and the los light off?

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
DanL
Topic Author

Hi 🙂

Just a green power light
LAN light flashes green every few mins for 10-20 seconds. No other lights. Will try and get a pic.

DanL
Topic Author

@cookiemonsteruk - pic attached

ont.jpg

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@DanL 

The pon light should be green.  What happened with the request for help via my sky did it let you book an engineer what does it say in my orders on your my sky app? 

We can escalate to sky but it may be quicker phoning sky yourself

Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

DanL
Topic Author

@cookiemonsteruk 

No option to book an engineer. The first attempt provided a message saying they would take a look, followed by a text to say the issue was resolved. My second attempt again said they would look but no confirmation of any order/engineer visit. On checking my Sky order page, nothing is booked. Very frustrating. I've also called the number that the app texted me and could only speak to a bot, who was no use. Who do I even call? Many thanks for your help 🙂 

@DanL 

Please keep an eye on this forum whilst logged on using chrome browser

I've escalated your post via the community chat. This link explains how it works

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Did-you-know/Escalating-a-post-to-a-Sky-expert/ba-p/3711147#M1014

Keep an eye out for a red and  blue chat bubble. When the blue bubble does appear you have 48 hours to respond or it will be automatically closed.

DanL
Topic Author

@cookiemonsteruk Thank you, much appreciated!

This message was authored by Greenfingers001 This message was authored by: Greenfingers001

Posted by a Sky employee

Thanks for escalating this. We’ve sent @DanL an invite to chat.

DanL
Topic Author

This is now resolved. 

According to the Openreach engineer, when power is abrubptly cut, some ONT boxes get stuck and no amount of power cycling will resolve an issue with them. Instead, there is a hidden reset switch which when held in for 30-60 seconds performs some sort of factory reset on the ONT. Once done, it all sprang back into life. This reset can only be performed with a special tool, however the engineer advised a little pin as used to open a sim card on an iPhone would do the trick. He advised me to do this if it ever happens again. He also said he was visiting another handful of properties in my area this morning that would likely have the same issue. 

A little frustrating to have such a simple fix under my nose the whole time, but am just glad it's all back up and running. 

Many thanks to you both for your assistance.

This message was authored by Lisa-P1987 This message was authored by: Lisa-P1987

Posted by a Sky employee

Thanks for the update @DanL 

Thanks

Lisa - Sky Tech Team Expert

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion