Discussion topic: New router

This message was authored by Barneys+mum This message was authored by: Barneys+mum

New router

Have recently renewed my broadban d contract with sky & apparently they are sending me a new broadband hub. Is this really necessary, my current hub is working fine

All Replies

This message was authored by Highlinder This message was authored by: Highlinder

Re: New router

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Barneys+mum  Have you changed your package and gone to a different speed? Which router do you have and which one are they sending out from the link below.

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/broadband-diagnostic-which-sky-hub 

If someone has helped give them Like.

If you have found this solution helpful please tick this as the answer.
Barneys+mum
Topic Author
This message was authored by Barneys+mum This message was authored by: Barneys+mum

I have a sky q hub & superfast broadband. No change to current package & sky email says thety're sending a sky broadband hub. Does this hub replace the sky q box and sky router I already have?

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Barneys+mum wrote:

Does this hub replace the sky q box and sky router I already have?

It replaces the Q Hub, not any Q television box or wireless booster.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
Barneys+mum
Topic Author

In that case dont understand why it's required

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Barneys+mum 

Either because  'Broadband Boost' has been added to your subscription, or because Sky is preparing for the scheduled PSTN switch off in 2025 when all households will require a router with a telephone socket in order to have landline telephony.

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@Barneys+mum it is possibly to be because Sky and Openreach are switching to a voice line to be via the internet connection rather than via the old phone sockets in your home. Alternatively your line is being switched to fbre to your home as part of the planned switch off of the copper network. If an engineer's appointment is mentioned in your MY Orders section of My Sky its likely to be the second.

The switch to fibre is a gradual process and where a customer renews a contract in an area with fibre priority then the line will be switched at that point despite you not needing higher speeds.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
Barneys+mum
Topic Author

Thank you for your reply. I already have broadband boost & as far as I am aware my router already has a telephone socket. Guess I will just wait and see what the box is like when it arrives. I might have more idea whats happening then (although I very much doubt it)

@Barneys+mum wrote:

I already have broadband boost & as far as I am aware my router already has a telephone socket.

A Q Hub does not have a socket to attach a telephone handset.

Hubs_1.png

Barneys+mum
Topic Author

OK, Thanks for all your replies so far. Have just received my new broadband router and, as there is no set up date on the box am assumimg that I can install it immediately? Also does anyone know if I am meant to return the old broadband hub

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@Barneys+mum 

Yes you can install it whenever you like. If Sky haven't asked you to return the old hub then I'd just hold onto it

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion