Discussion topic: New fibre internet dropping out constantly

This message was authored by angi66 This message was authored by: angi66

New fibre internet dropping out constantly

Hi all, after waiting nearly a full month I finally had my fibre installed (500mb) on the 24th, I understand that there is a 10-day period of line testing & a variation of speed.

Running speed tests on my PC via a Cat5e cable comes back at 94Mb everytime. WiFi tests are all over the place to be expected but nothing over 90MB ish. Am I wrong in thinking 'variation of speed' whilst testing the line would results in random results from a speed test? Not 94Mb everytime?

Also, the internet never goes off as such - but every couple of minutes nothing atall will load for a few minutes, then everything will load then nothing again - 24/7. 

I have tried restarting the router &  swapping my Cat5e cable to a Cat6 for my PC, I even changed my Ethernet from Fast to Gigabit in the admin panel.

Just curious if this is completely normal, or is possibly something in the Admin panel setup wrong ect? Thank you repliers 🙂 

Best Answers
This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk Answer

Re: New fibre internet dropping out constantly

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@angi66 

By the way to check what speed your card is currently set to :-

1. Go to the icon of the taskbar
  2. Locate the icon Internet
  3. Press on network and internet settings
  4. Click on Ethernet
  5. Click change adapter options
  6. Double click on Ethernet. There, you get the speed, it can be 100 mbps or 1Gbps. If it is the second, we do not have to do anything, but if it is the first we have to configure the card
----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@angi66 

How old is the pc? Any idea what ethernet card is in it .. Older pc's might have a 10/100 Mbps ethernet card some of these can be set to 1Gbps

Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@angi66 

If you have a windows pc you can change the card settings as below

1. In the window where the speed was indicated, you have to click on properties
  2. Check that the option Microsoft network clients is marked, if not, do it
  3. Click on set up
  4. We go to Advanced Options
  5. Search Speed ​​& Duplex
  6. Change the value to 1.0 Gbps Full Duplex
  7. Accept

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk Answer

@angi66 

By the way to check what speed your card is currently set to :-

1. Go to the icon of the taskbar
  2. Locate the icon Internet
  3. Press on network and internet settings
  4. Click on Ethernet
  5. Click change adapter options
  6. Double click on Ethernet. There, you get the speed, it can be 100 mbps or 1Gbps. If it is the second, we do not have to do anything, but if it is the first we have to configure the card

angi66
Topic Author

@cookiemonsteruk Thanks for the fast response, the PC is put together by myself, the motherboard is a MSI MAG Z490 Tomahawk, which I believe both ethernet ports on rear are capable of 1Gb & 2.5Gb. 

I forgot to mention, I've also set my Speed & Duplex to 1Gb Full Duplex via the properties of my ethernet adapater.

Also, when downloading a game via Steam, the download speed took nearly 6 minutes to peak at 92Mb ish, and then dropped down to XXXKbpsright after for around 4 minutes. (Dropping low in speeds? Which would resut in no websites loading for X amount of time?)

@angi66 

Can you run a ethernet speedtest via fast.com and post the results

@angi66 

Also steam tend to measure download in MB/s putting the speed at 720Mbps. 🤔

Are you running a direct ethernet connection or running it thru powerline adapters or wifi ethernet bridge

angi66
Topic Author

@cookiemonsteruk I just unplugged my etherent and plugged it back in, done a speed test and it's 513Mb down now 😄 I've left it a couple of minutes, but for some reason ALL websites don't load properly quite frequently. I just swapped between tabs and currently have a Facebook tab open that still hasn't loaded in the time I've typed this out. 

Do you know what could be causing this? Thank you. 

angi66
Topic Author

@cookiemonsteruk Haha I'm aware of Steam doing that, I did the calculation 😄 It's still undecisive when it wants to load a page or not and how long it wants to take to load said page.

Testing a download on steam now & it's peaked at 23.3MB, but frequently drops down to sub 100Kbps (1 year + download time haha!)

It's dropping to sub 100Kbps for a few minutes at the same rate websites just don't load for a few minutes (When I'm not downloading of course) then bounce back, works for a few minutes then stops again lol 

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@angi66 

Considering you had an issue with the PC & Router negotiating at 1gbps initially and now your saying speed goes up and down and pages dont load this sounds like a cable or PC issue. Basically something is continually dropping & then re-establishing the connection in quick succession which would account for variation in your steam download as well as pages loading. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
angi66
Topic Author

@jamesn123 Thanks for the response,

Unfortunately it does it accross all my devies (wired or wireless). The speed on downloads drops to Kbps very frequently. I clicked on youtube just now and it loaded fine, clicked on here and it took around a minute. After that I hit refresh, waited and refreshed again and it finally loaded. Is this part of the 10 day period or is something wrong? 

Is there anything you recommend I try? Thank you 🙂

angi66
Topic Author

@cookiemonsteruk 

Hi there, thanks for your help. Gave you the answer + likes 🙂

I'm still having the issue of websites not loading, then loading then not...Also downloads drop to Kbps very frequently. (I'm guessing when the speeds drops, my websites aren't loading?)

Do you have any ideas? It happens across all wired/wireless devices. 

Thanks again 

@angi66 

Unfortunately i am out of ideas at the minute. We've covered everything that i can think off 🤔

This message was authored by Walkes88 This message was authored by: Walkes88

Hi,

@angi66 I had similar issues, turns out my new mobo (installed last year) was running 2015 drivers, I've just updated them to 2022 and all seems to be working fine now.

It would download full speed on steam for a couple of minutes, then drop for 30-45 seconds then come back on (websites wouldn't load etc)

Try that and see how you get on.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion