Discussion topic: New broadband to cease if not transferring landline?

This message was authored by Annie127 This message was authored by: Annie127

New broadband to cease if not transferring landline?

Hi all,

Grateful if anyone could help me make sense of this situation .....

We're transferring from Sky to TalkTalk for broadband in a couple of weeks. TalkTalk said when we placed the broadband order that they don't provide landline services, which was fine as we only ever had a landline because it came bundled with our Sky broadband, but we never use it. 

This morning we've had a letter from Sky saying that if we don't transfer our landline to a new provider within 30 days of transferring the broadband, they will shut down the phone line which will also stop our new broadband service. 

Spoke to TalkTalk who said they've never heard of this before but would recommend we transfer our landline to a new supplier to be on the safe side. Then spoke to Sky who said they've got no idea why we have received this letter but they're pretty sure the Sky Talk service just ends when the broadband is transferred.

Having not got much sense from

either supplier, I remain a bit worried that our new broadband service will shut down after 30 days as per the letter if we don't do anything about transferring the landline - but also really don't want to pay a supplier to provide a landline we never use if this isn't necessary. 

Has anyone else been in this situation/ received this letter and can tell me what happened? 

All Replies

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Re: New broadband to cease if not transferring landline?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Annie127 

I have never heard of this and I do not see how Sky can terminate your service from a different provider. Its possible that you were on a traditional connection before and now you have moved to SOGEA which does not require a 'landline' as such. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
This message was authored by stevet52 This message was authored by: stevet52

Re: New broadband to cease if not transferring landline?

I would be interested to know if there were any problems in the end, despite what Sky suggeated, as we have recieved the same message from Sky, via email, related to our transfer to Plusnet. Spoke with Plusnet - we are having Broadband only service with them - who said this has never occurred in the past and line will not go dead and new service will start as requested

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion