Discussion topic: New Sky Hub won't connect to smart home tp-link plugs and bulbs.

This message was authored by roddanes This message was authored by: roddanes

New Sky Hub won't connect to smart home tp-link plugs and bulbs.

Swapped out my SkyQ router for new hub, though Sky Q was easy enough other non sky things like these smart bulbs and smart plugs simply wont connect, specifically  TP-LINK_smart Plug and TP-LINK_Smart Bulb despite doing all the usual tricks with the devices. Any ideas please?

Best Answers
This message was authored by Skull+Treaty This message was authored by: Skull+Treaty Answer

Re: New Sky Hub won't connect to smart home tp-link plugs and bulbs.

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@roddanes 

You may need to split the WiFi bands, follow this User Guide to see if that works

"Sometimes, the only choices you have are bad ones, but you still have to choose"

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Skull+Treaty This message was authored by: Skull+Treaty Answer

@roddanes 

You may need to split the WiFi bands, follow this User Guide to see if that works

"Sometimes, the only choices you have are bad ones, but you still have to choose"
This message was authored by Oishi This message was authored by: Oishi

@roddanes - did this work for you?

I'm having the same issue after switching to Sky from BT, my TP Link plugs have all stopped working.

I have tried splitting the bands as per the guide supplied by @Skull+Treaty @ above, and even tried changing authentication on the 2.4 band, but none of these changes have worked.

The process goes smoothly until it's time for the plug to connect to the WiFi, then it just won't. Same across all plugs (I have 4).

Does anyone else have these plugs (HS100 v2.1) and have been able to get them working?

This message was authored by cryslys This message was authored by: cryslys

I had a similar problem today with a Tp link extender.  I found out on the TP link website that there is a problem with  some tp link extenders and some sky routers.  maybe you should have a look there.  Hope this helps you.  I am not a tech person so can't help more.

This message was authored by Philthetinkler This message was authored by: Philthetinkler

How do I get the user name and password for my skyhub? I need this to split the wifi

This message was authored by Skull+Treaty This message was authored by: Skull+Treaty

@Philthetinkler wrote:

How do I get the user name and password for my skyhub? I need this to split the wifi

@Philthetinkler 

Default credentials are below the relevant Hubs.

Hubs.png

To split/unsync the bands, simply follow this User Guide

This message was authored by Jaymo999 This message was authored by: Jaymo999

I have the same issue as above, I switched from BT to Sky Broadband and I can not get the TP Link smart plugs to connect. Is there a fix for this issue? Is it a compatability issue with the router? Who's issue is it? Sky or TP-Link? Please help me.

Hey @Jaymo999 @

I'm sorry to say, I never did get this working. I tried splitting the bands and some other stuff but gave up in the end. All my plugs are just sitting in a drawer... 😞

I hope you have better luck. If you do please let us know.

Chris

This message was authored by Philthetinkler This message was authored by: Philthetinkler

I finally figured this out. Once I had unsynched the 2.4 and 5ghz wifis, I amended the name name of the 2.4 to SKYxxxxxx2.4ghz

I connected to this as well the the 5ghz and then connected my tapo bulbs through the 2.4 everything works like a Dream again 

Thanks for your reply/s and finally I've managed to get my HS100 plugs working. Turns out the HS100 are not compatible with the latest version of the Kasa app. I only worked this out when I tried the KP105 and they worked fine with the latest app. After some back and forth with Kasa they sent me a link with an old version of the app and hey presto they install no worries... however the schedule is not working but I can't have everything!

Fortunately I didn't have to split the frequency or anything. 

Hey @Jaymo999 ,

I have as actually just going to come back to you with the same!

The new activity on this thread (and the fact that my Christmas decorations are going up), made me give it another go just in theast few days.

I managed to get all my plugs connected again without splitting the bands! They are no longer fancy paperweights.

For scheduling you could try Google Home. I activate my plugs via Google Home routines using voice, but you can schedule them too. 

Hope this helps!

Chris

Hi Chris... thanks for replying and great to see your up and running again. 

I did think the same... could I use Alexa to set a schedule (I don't have Google home)? I think I'll check it out tonight. 

Thanks again

This message was authored by Paulina51 This message was authored by: Paulina51

I currently bought the tapa light bulb and it won't connect to the Wi-Fi. I have read the comments others have made on this struggle also. I don't completely understand what I have to do even though there are instructions. If in separate what suggested does this mean every device within the home has to reconnect to the Wi-Fi. Also after device is connected do I have join them back together. 

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@Paulina51 some of these IOT units like your bulb have simple wifi ability and will not connect to the dualband wifi connection your Sky hub uses. Where this happens you need to separate the two wifi bands so you have two SSIDs. If you rename the 2.4GHz band but leave the 5GHz band names alone modt of your devices will remain connected tomthe faster band. Then you connect your new bulb and any devices that lose connection to the new 2.4GHz SSID. 

See Split Sky WiFi bands

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by MS31 This message was authored by: MS31

I'm so frustrated. Just switched to Sky Broadband and can't get my TP link Wi-Fi extenders to work. I need Wi-Fi in my shed where I work, but don't understand all the chat about splitting Wi-Fi bands?? Do I need to just use a sky Wi-Fi extender instead? So very frustrating!

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion