Discussion topic: New Sky Broadband 5 times slower than previous provider Plusnet

This message was authored by janmnnss This message was authored by: janmnnss

New Sky Broadband 5 times slower than previous provider Plusnet

Switched from Plusnet to Sky Broadband because Plusnet kept having outages that lasted almost a year and it's only been 3 days since my Sky Broadband was activated but it's extremely slow. With Plusnet on the top end I was getting 80mbps download with a guaranteed speed of 66mbps. With Sky the absolute max it will go to the hub is 15mbps. Over 5 times slower than before. Below I have attached the router statistics from my Sky Hub and the results from the BT wholesale line test. Thanks for your time.

bt wholesale address line check.png

router statistics.png 

All Replies

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Re: New Sky Broadband 5 times slower than previous provider Plusnet

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@janmnnss 

I would imagine those outages you had with Plusnet were because your line has major problems. When switching ISP within the Openreach remit you are essentially keeping the same line so any problems will just follow you. Your router stats show a major line fault so you'll need to contact Sky and report the fault, however they usually wont allow you to report any faults until you've been through the 14 day 'stabilisation' period 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
janmnnss
Topic Author

Okay thanks for the reply is it the "noise margin" that indicates a fault in the line? So I know what to refer to when I contact them after the stabilization period. 

@janmnnss 

Yes your noise margin should be between 3 - 6dB. 

You can see that your router is receiving 16.4mbps on the downstream whereas the check you posted from the BT Wholesale site states that the minimum handback speed for an impacted line should be 60mbps. So yours is way below what it should be. 

What is confusing me though is why your upload seems to be limited to 10mbps which would suggest you are on the lower tier Superfast package. Which package did you take out? Are you on some sort of Benefits based package?

I am NOT a Sky Employee
janmnnss
Topic Author

@jamesn123 It was done over the phone at the same time as getting them to replace the Sky dish and change all the boxes and the guy on the phone just said it was the "fastest available to you" in regards to the internet. I told him the speeds we were getting before but he wasn't the most helpful. I didn't realise not pressing him more would result in 5x slower speeds though. 

@janmnnss 

Okay bit odd but either way you need to get the fault fixed before anything else is looked at. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
janmnnss
Topic Author

@jamesn123 

Yeah I probably should have booked it online in retrospect because I find that easier but thanks for your help. I will just wait out the stabilisation period and then contact them to report the problems I'm experiencing. 

@janmnnss 

I am happy to escalate your post to a Sky advisor so you can chat to them on the forum, but I suspect they will end up telling you that you have to wait out the period. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
janmnnss
Topic Author

@jamesn123 

Okay yes please I would appreciate that! It is worth a try to see if we can get the ball rolling atleast. 

@janmnnss 

Done, look out for a message on the forum, you should see a chat bubble popup once the advisor has posted here that they've initiated the chat. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
janmnnss
Topic Author

Okay I will keep my eyes pealed. Thanks again! 

This message was authored by Lisa-P1987 This message was authored by: Lisa-P1987

Posted by a Sky employee

Thanks for escalating this. We’ve sent @janmnnss  an invite to chat.

Thanks

Lisa - Sky Tech Team Expert
janmnnss
Topic Author

Support was absolutely useless. Telling me there is no issue with my line and that 15mpbs is somehow a normal and acceptable speed despite the obvious facts. Will be cancelling my Broadband package and going elsewhere. Will be moving to BT who offer 67mbps guaranteed speed at my address. Unlike the liars at Sky who insist the max available is 15mbps. 

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@janmnnss the issue will move with you as it is the line which is the problem is not the ISP. In due course Openreach will update the database to reflect the true speed the line can support. In the past Openreach would do work to improve lines but now they are switching to fibre they are very reluctant to spend money repairing lines.

If moving go to a supplier who doesnt use the Openreach line like Virgin Media or a mobile provider.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@janmnnss 

Unfortunately the Universal Service Obligation is for a whole 10Mbs inbound and 1Mbs outbound: while a connection remains above that there's no actual obligation to deliver anything better, as long as the ISP permits an early exit without penalty.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion