Discussion topic: New FTTP installation

This message was authored by Eddie+Jr. This message was authored by: Eddie+Jr.

New FTTP installation

Hey guys,

I've just had GigaFast installed and I've noticed my speeds are horrible, 90mbps on Wi-Fi and around 300mbps on cat 7, I have the SR203

Becuase it's a new installation does it need time to settle?, Just asking as I've herd FTTP doesn't need that time like copper does 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FTTP [900] - Asus RT AX88U --- Main router, D7000 --- Wireless extender
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All Replies

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Re: New FTTP installation

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Eddie+Jr. 

WiFi speeds can be anything from 1mbps to 1000mbps its totally dependant on environment, device, home layout etc. You likely wont see very fast WiFi speeds.

Regarding ethernet speeds...

What device are you using for ethernet tests?

Is it connected directly to the hub via ethernet or are you using something inbetween such as a switch or powerline/home plugs?

Can you post a screenshot of the completed speedtest?

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
Eddie+Jr.
Topic Author
This message was authored by Eddie+Jr. This message was authored by: Eddie+Jr.

I'm pretty clued up when it comes to stuff like this,

I'm using a Cat 7 to my shield, straight from the hub. Using the shield to run speed tests.

when running the test it will sit at 100mbps then jump all the way up to 710mbps then back down, It spikes to that high speed but won't maintain it

the OR engineer did say that the ONT needs to update or because sky is new to 900 speeds the ONT doesn't work well with sky MER 

FTTP [900] - Asus RT AX88U --- Main router, D7000 --- Wireless extender
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Eddie+Jr. wrote:

when running the test it will sit at 100mbps then jump all the way up to 710mbps then back down, It spikes to that high speed but won't maintain it 

That's pretty much as expected: no-one needs sustained speed that high for anything except massive downloads (say a 60GB game patch) and those will be limited by the source server.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@Eddie+Jr. 

What speedtest/service app do you see the jumping happening? That suggests server capacity issues.

Not sure what the Openreach person is talking about really the ONT simply takes the optical connection and passes it to the Sky hub as a copper connection. Its either connected or its not, all speed related issues will be down to device, router, Openreach infrastructure or Sky infrastructure. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion