Discussion topic: New Customer - VPN issues

This message was authored by MotherEvans This message was authored by: MotherEvans

New Customer - VPN issues

Hi,

I have recently migrated to yourselves - Friday the 13th.. Similarly to the other users in this post, i have had issues connectign to my work VPN. Initially the VPN to my work worked, however it suddenly stopped working over night and I haven't been able to connect since Monday. Tethering through my iPhone works, and another mobile device. 

I have spoken to your helpdesk and have gotten nowhere.

Please can I be opted out of this please as this isn't allowing me to connect to my work VPN.

Thanks.

All Replies

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Re: New Customer - VPN issues

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@MotherEvans Sky cannot opt you out of the system they use to issue IP4 addesses but there are a couple of workrounds that can be implemented but we need to know which VPN software your using to give you the right one. 

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
MotherEvans
Topic Author
This message was authored by MotherEvans This message was authored by: MotherEvans

I have tried what sky recommended, which included broadband shield being disabled and also WPA2. 

Reading other entries on here the issue as you say is IPV4 addresses being saturated, however the service worked when it was initially setup, to change 3 days later. Extremely disappointing.  They have said that it is an option which is available to opt out when you read other forum entries.

I will speak to work to find out what the VPN software is as it is just an option through my network settings I press and then connect. 

Thanks 

MotherEvans
Topic Author

I believe it is called 'Always on VPN' in answer to your question as it which software I'm using.

@MotherEvans the simplest solution is to log onto the new hub's web interface by typing 192.168.0.1 into a browser you will be asked to sign in the username is admin and the password is the default wifi password. When in the interface find the setting for UPnP and turn that on and save the change and exit. That will switch the setting for IP4 address sharing to a ratio of 1:1 which is effectively turning off the MAP-T option which can cause issues.

If your VPN still fails to connect then MAP-T is not the issue as other things can break VPNs 

65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
MotherEvans
Topic Author

i will try the UPNP setting, however I am unconvinced that it will work. As mentioned it works on numerous other networks, just Skys router. It worked on installation for three days and then stopped. 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@MotherEvans 

As @Chrisee indicated, it's not the UPnP which resolves the issue (that's actually irrelevant to VPN) : it's a shortcut to triggering a move to 1:1 Map-T.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

These are the steps to enable UPnP on a white Sky WiFi Max hub which is the easiest way to force Sky to switch your connection from a 8:1 share of an IP4 address to a 1:1 share which can resolve issues with company VPNs.

First type 192.168.0.1 into a browser you will be required to log in. The username is always admin and the password is the default WiFi password on the label

When the interface loads click on Advanced then on Device Dicovery and the screen below will load 

IMG_0119.png
Select Enable for the UPnP setting and click save the hub will restart.

You can check the MAP-T setting in the web interface by clicking on Connection then Sky Network and scrolling down on the page

IMG_0120.jpeg
If you have enabled UPnP, set up to forward a port or use the DMZ function the ratio should read 1:1 otherwise it will read 8:1 which is the default.

MotherEvans
Topic Author

I'll have a go when I get home and see. 
Thanks both, 

MotherEvans
Topic Author

Hello,

I have just spoken with a lovely chap tonight at sky regarding another issue and the chap advised that sky have rolled out an update to their devices which has caused issues with some VPN softwares.

Making  those changes apparently don't fix the issue with all VPN software.

They are aware of the issue and we just have to sit and wait or leave I guess.

This message was authored by cefraser88 This message was authored by: cefraser88

I too am having the same issue. 

Had I known I wouldn't have signed a contract with Sky. 

I work from home minimum of twice a week due to my employers Hybrid working programme and Childcare arrangement. 

I cannot afford to not be able to work from home. 

I did call support but when things got hard and they didnt know what to do they hung up on me and didnt bother to call me back.

can someone help please, i've tried all suggested advice but nothing works?

@cefraser88 you are buying a domestic broadband connection that you choose to use that connection for work doesn't change that fact. Sky like most ISPs do not support third party software that is another fact. Your employer's IT department should support their staff working remotely to use their systems something many companies forget.

There is a specific issue with the new white Sky hub and some company VPNs which this thread discusses if you have such a hub and have followed the instructions in my post above and activated UPnP and it hasn't worked that issue does not affect you.

If you post details of what hub you have, the VPN system your employer's IT department uses (you may have to ask them) and what you  have tried already forum members some of whom support similar systems maybe able to help.

This message was authored by cefraser88 This message was authored by: cefraser88

@Chrisee 

thank you for your reply. I transferred to fibre under the promise is it better than the previous package I had with BT on the old system. I assumed it would work the same if not better. 

my employers IT director has remotely connected and worked on my device for the passed 2 days, ensuring all systems there end are fine. the IT director also has the same broadband package as me so couldnt understand the issue until i allowed him to take a look at the router settings. a tempory 'backdoor' vpn has been set up for the next few days but obviously a permanent solution is required.

I have the new White Sky Max Hub with wifi6. I have disabled the broadband shield, I have tried by enabling DMZ, I have tried by enabling UPnP, Enabling UPnP and DMZ together, tried by disable IPv6. My Wifi is set to WPA2 already due to other requirements.

Im not the most tech savvy but i'm trying. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated?

@cefraser88 Sign into the hub's web interface by typing 192.168.0.1 into a browser it will ask you to log in the user is admin and the password is the wifi password on the hub's label. Navigate to the Sky Connection scroll down and find the line marked MAP-T Sharing Ratio which should read 1:1 into my screen shot below of my own system it is circled and reads 8:1.

IMG_0120.jpeg
If thecratio is 1:1 then the issue is different. You may want to point your IT director at this post by one of Sky's senior network boffins about changing the size of the VPN packets which can also help. If still stuck please post the which VPN software your company uses.

@Chrisee Screenshot 2024-09-25 141303.png

it is 1:1 now however its been 8:1 most of the day and yesterday, still cant connect to standard VPN

we use AlwaysOn as our standard VPN, they've set me up on a temp with Draytek for the moment.

I will share the post you suggest with IT,  again I really appreciate your help 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion