Discussion topic: Netgear RAX E300

This message was authored by dejavu94 This message was authored by: dejavu94

Netgear RAX E300

Hi 

Can I use this router straight with OR modem ?  So bypassing sky router ? 

If yes, what settings do I need to enter into Netgear please ? It has got better parental controls.

Thanks xx 

All Replies

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Re: Netgear RAX E300

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@dejavu94 

If you have Ultrafast with an Openreach ONT then you should be able to use it without the Sky hub in place.

Simply type abc123@skydsl|abc123 into the client identifier box at the bottom of the WAN settings.

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
dejavu94
Topic Author

Thanks I will try that today. And no need for DHCP and some number like 61 ?

Yes I am using ultrafast and ONT. 

@dejavu94 

The client identifier box is the DHCP Option 61 area you are referring to, they have different names but do the same thing. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
dejavu94
Topic Author

IMG_1639.jpeg

I am totally lost I don't know where to find these settings in Netgear interface. Attaching few snapshots if it helps please 

This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3

@dejavu94 

Login into the router interface->Basic Tab and select the internet option at the bottom. There is an insert option and in that place, you can set up DHCPv4 client identifiers, especially relevant in '61' which is where you type the 'anything@skydsl|anything' in option 61 once created in that setting place for DHCP Options.

-------

Zen internet on G.fast (250Mbps down, 50Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.
dejavu94
Topic Author

IMG_1646.jpeg

Thanks Mae but this is the interface I am getting under internet and can't see any other option I am afraid 

IMG_1645.jpeg

IMG_1647.jpeg

@dejavu94 

Just waiting for the screenshots to be approved.

-------

Zen internet on G.fast (250Mbps down, 50Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.

@dejavu94 

From the screenshots, it looks like the RAXE300 does not support DHCP Option identifiers, and therefore you are out of luck with connecting that Netgear router to the ONT directly unless DHCPv6 PD works which is only present on approx 80% of Sky broadband exchanges.

-------

@dejavu94 

Are you sure its not under the advanced tab?

Also have you upgraded the router to the latest firmware first?

I am NOT a Sky Employee
dejavu94
Topic Author

 Firmware up to date 

it's not there as per my understanding. Sky is not giving me any dsl username or password. Asked Netgear. They said it's compatible and can be connected to OR ONT.

sharing some screen shots 

IMG_1639.jpeg

IMG_1646.jpeg

IMG_1645.jpeg

@dejavu94 

Sky wont give you your username & password because they do not exisit. It is simply a client identifier string of abc123@skydsl|abc123

I am NOT a Sky Employee
dejavu94
Topic Author

Oh I see 

But where to enter that string ? Asked Netgear support. They assured it can be connected direct. 

Also network cable from OR ONT will go into my Lan port or Internet port ? 

Thanks 

@dejavu94 

I dont know, I am not familiar with that router but it will have to be in the Internet/WAN settings if it exists. 

You should ask Netgear specifically where the DHCP Option 61 or Client identifier string box is. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
This message was authored by cuke This message was authored by: cuke

@dejavu94 wrote:

Hi 

Can I use this router straight with OR modem ?  So bypassing sky router ? 

If yes, what settings do I need to enter into Netgear please ? It has got better parental controls.

Thanks xx 

I've been through the manual for the RAXE300 and I cannot see any reference for Opt61 at all, whereas the RAX70, which I have has. Whilst researching the Netgear products I found that some of their routers support this option but some don't. Haven't a clue why...

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion