Discussion topic: Is there actually any Sky employees on these forums?

This message was authored by SaraTweeks This message was authored by: SaraTweeks

Is there actually any Sky employees on these forums?

When looking to talk to Sky we all get directed to use the forum. Is this just a general public talking shop or is this actually monitored by any Sky employees?

Discuss

All Replies

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

Re: Is there actually any Sky employees on these forums?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@SaraTweeks  If you advise what the isue is we are able to escalate your query to the Community Chat team who are Sky employees.

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@SaraTweeks it is a customer-to-customer channel but the regular forum members can answer a lot of questions.  Where we can't Super Users can escalate posts where someone needs Sky input. In many areas the forum can help with areas Sky wont help with like connecting third party equipment and setting up apps. 

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
SaraTweeks
Topic Author
This message was authored by SaraTweeks This message was authored by: SaraTweeks

Thanks for the replies.

We've fairly recently upgraded to Sky Q but still have the ancient SR-102 router (2.4 Ghz only). Should that have been replaced as part of the upgrade?

I'm happy with the performance of the internet but the Sky Q box only connects via 2.4Ghz as it refuses to see the 5Ghz signal from my third party wifi access point. 

I note that the Sky Q box will only connect to Sky routers to get the 5Gz wifi connection.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@SaraTweeks wrote:

We've fairly recently upgraded to Sky Q but still have the ancient SR-102 router (2.4 Ghz only). Should that have been replaced as part of the upgrade?

That has typically been the case since early 2016, as the Q Hub was specifically designed to be part of the Q television hardware 'family'

I guess it's possible this no longer happens, given the Q Hub itself is now approaching obsolesence because it doesn't support Sky Talk Internet Calls

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
SaraTweeks
Topic Author

So if the Sky Q hub is obsolete should we have been provided with the latest Sky Hub?

SaraTweeks
Topic Author

As I thought, thanks for the helpful replies but I could be asking this on facebook, instagram etc and be told lots of good information but with no way to acually receive a definitive answer or resolution to the question from Sky. 

Can this be escalated to an actual Sky employee?

@SaraTweeks normally when you buy both Sky Broadband and Sky Q you do get sent a new hub which up until now has been the er110 or er115 - both look like Sky Q boxes. The newer SR203 also is designed to work with Sky Q which model you get is down to Sky customers can't choose. If you call Sky they should arrange to send one out.

You are correct the main Sky Q boxes can only connect to third party wifi using the 2.4GHz band and any Q minis will not connect at all. with anewer Sky hub any Q box will act as a dualband wifi extender potentially meaning you no longer need a third party system. However just linking over the 2.4GHz band does work for millions of Sky Q customers who have third party ISPs.

65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@SaraTweeks wrote:

So if the Sky Q hub is obsolete should we have been provided with the latest Sky Hub?

A Q Hub becomes obsolete once the address is provisioned with SOGEA broadband (no PSTN signal)

Currently this is triggered by a new order, a Home Move or a change in speed/technology (i.e. Superfast to Ultrafast).

It's as yet unknown what Sky intends to do about millions of in-use Q Hubs where this hasn't happened: the deadline is December 2025.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
SaraTweeks
Topic Author

Still all useful information, but no closer to any sort of resolution or answer from a Sky employee.

@SaraTweeks which you will only get if you call Sky as Sky employees cannot link an account to a post. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion