Discussion topic: Internet speed

This message was authored by Heatherpaul This message was authored by: Heatherpaul

Internet speed

Hi all 

We upgraded to gigafast 3 days ago from ultrafast but we are now receiving far lower speed readings than before we upgraded !

Our average original speed was 145mbps and we should be now receiving a guaranteed minimum of 600mpbs however we are only getting 50-80 mbps 

I have contacted sky only to be told the following 

It takes upto 15 days for the speeds to settle in ...

Also the speed is divided out to each device so he told us that we have 17 devices connected and that each device will get a percentage of the speed and that's why rhe test I'm doing is low.

The other issue is that sky tests are of course all stating its fine and we are getting 900mbps but we have used multiple other speed tests and confirmed this isn't the case 

How can I prove to sky its not right ?

Can anyone please help !

Best Answers
This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123 Answer

Re: Internet speed

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Overspeed 

95mbps sounds suspiciously like your device is connecting via 10/100mbps on ethernet rather than 10/100/1000mbps which would limit your speed to around 95mbps.

Can you screenshot your ethernet status page on the PC?

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@Heatherpaul straightforwardly by running acspeedvtest using a single device connected to the hub by ethernet. Thst removes the impact of wifi issues which is most commonly the issue if you measuring speeds over wifi and contention from other devices using bandwidth. 

There is no easy way to measure bandwidth that a ONT unit is outputting and the hub receives so Sky assume what you pay for is what you get. The training period is rubbish on FTTP services but the staff still spout it and having 17 devices actively using bandwidth will reduce the amount available for the 18th but having 17 devices connected but not in use wont.  

Evidence of a speed test run as explained is normally accepted not least because they can't prove you wrong.  if you post a result showing acshortfall then either myself or one of the other superusers will add you case to a growing list of where customers are not getting what they pay for to a `sky contact whomis trying tomget this resolved. it isn't common problem but it is definitely happening to some.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@Heatherpaul 

Can you post a speedtest on a device connected via ethernet?

Note that it needs to be direct ethernet, not through a booster or powerline adapters etc

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Heatherpaul
Topic Author
This message was authored by Heatherpaul This message was authored by: Heatherpaul

Speed test via ethernet 80mbps

This message was authored by Overspeed This message was authored by: Overspeed

I'm having the same problem, I'm on the same speed despite upgrading. I'm getting 95mbps via ethernet despite upgrading to ultrafast plus which should be around 500mbps.

Annoyingly, the hub doesn't display my line speed on the stats page.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Overspeed wrote:

Annoyingly, the hub doesn't display my line speed on the stats page.

No domestic router does, because the optical circuit ends at the ONT.  Unlike copper broadband, FTTP data rate is not negotiated by the devices at either end.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

Thank you for that, there used to be a BT website that would tell you details about your line, speed, attenuation etc 

Is anyone aware of one or has Openreach stopped that?

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Overspeed 

The BT Wholesale website you refer to still exists at https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL/AddressHome but its line stats can have no relevance to a purely optical circuit: it only shows the availability (or not) of FTTP.  Distance, consequent attenuation and 'line quality' ('clean' and 'impacted') are not factors in optical transmission: they only have meaning for ADSL/FTTC/G.fast broadband which is carried over copper.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

@TimmyBGood 

Thanks anyway. 

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@Overspeed if your speed test was run over ethernet with nothing else active report the issue to Sky. However do not use Fast.com for testing as it is designed to measure speed to Netflix servers so does not reliable report speeds over 100Mb/s. Ookla/speedtest.net are reliable as are most others.. 

It may be worthwhile powering down your hub for a few minutes which should reset the connection changing the public IP address and switching the physical server on Sky's network as these machines can throttle connections.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

@Chrisee 

I've been using Ookla for my speed tests, I've powered down the hub and even the ONT in a bid to see if the speed would get in the ballpark of what I'm paying for. 

It's within the first 14 days of installation so I'd expect to get a similar response to the OP of this thread. I'll wait for that time to be up until I spend 45+ minutes on hold 

Thanks anyway. 

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123 Answer

@Overspeed 

95mbps sounds suspiciously like your device is connecting via 10/100mbps on ethernet rather than 10/100/1000mbps which would limit your speed to around 95mbps.

Can you screenshot your ethernet status page on the PC?

I am NOT a Sky Employee

@jamesn123 

Legend. Sorted now, thank you. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion