Discussion topic: Internet keeps dropping

This message was authored by Hugh+Letwon This message was authored by: Hugh+Letwon

Internet keeps dropping

Hi,

my internet keeps dropping out at random points during the day.  I have spoken with Sky numerous times, they have come and replaced the router and master socket. Open reach have tested the line and speed and quality is good. Firmware updates done on router and Glass.  Elimination diet done on devices attached to hub and down to just TVs Alexa and iPads using the Wi-Fi. No extenders fitted, just bare minimum of normal devices.  Used a net monitor to see other local networks for interference and tried changing channels to least used.  Moved the router to different places.  Still getting the random drop outs once or twice a day. Any thoughts ?

IMG_0365.jpeg

Best Answers
This message was authored by Kevin-7248 This message was authored by: Kevin-7248 Answer

Re: Internet keeps dropping

Apologies, along with another thread, seeing your router stats, it's a G.Fast line (FTTC) and not Gigafast (FTTP), it could be down to the infrastructure provided to your home, as it's an old copper line.

I suffered with such issues on FTTC line and the best thing for it is the mass rollout of fibre cabling. We moved to an area with fibre and now on ultrafast plus - utilising the same broadband hub for both signal and speed. 

However, you could try the likes of replacing to a third party router, but in my experience, the best for this is ASUS routers which enable the automatic sourcing of the sky protocol (MER).

Amazon do these routers and if you want a 2-in-1 router and modem to completely replace your sky hub, check out the AT version not the RT of the ASUS. 

••••¥¥¥¥•••••¥¥¥;••••••¥¥¥¥
Sky Glass 65”
Sky Fibre Gigafast Plus
Been a sky customer through the ages from before HD boxes were a thing! When sky was a box you had to wind up to work 

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Kevin-7248 This message was authored by: Kevin-7248

These occurring themes is, I'm sure down to the substandard routers and software of the routers designed to cope with such large internet speeds for gigafast. 

It's unable to cope for long periods of time so is cycling itself off and on. The sky router is a base model of providing reliable internet and shows it with its lack of UI admin page and settings. 

Unfortunately it's the sky hardware, but replacement of the router and testing again is the only option. 

Phone sky through to broadband department and get them to replace the router. 

Sky Glass 65”
Sky Fibre Gigafast Plus
Been a sky customer through the ages from before HD boxes were a thing! When sky was a box you had to wind up to work 
Hugh+Letwon
Topic Author
This message was authored by Hugh+Letwon This message was authored by: Hugh+Letwon

Thanks, they have already replaced the router once all ready or are you suggesting that there are better ones they could provide?

if they don't or won't can I buy my own (best alternatives)?

This message was authored by Kevin-7248 This message was authored by: Kevin-7248 Answer

Apologies, along with another thread, seeing your router stats, it's a G.Fast line (FTTC) and not Gigafast (FTTP), it could be down to the infrastructure provided to your home, as it's an old copper line.

I suffered with such issues on FTTC line and the best thing for it is the mass rollout of fibre cabling. We moved to an area with fibre and now on ultrafast plus - utilising the same broadband hub for both signal and speed. 

However, you could try the likes of replacing to a third party router, but in my experience, the best for this is ASUS routers which enable the automatic sourcing of the sky protocol (MER).

Amazon do these routers and if you want a 2-in-1 router and modem to completely replace your sky hub, check out the AT version not the RT of the ASUS. 

Sky Glass 65”
Sky Fibre Gigafast Plus
Hugh+Letwon
Topic Author

Thanks, I've fitted a mesh system and put the sky hub to just Ethernet.  So far 48 hours up with no drop out so keeping fingers crossed.  

This message was authored by Kevin-7248 This message was authored by: Kevin-7248

@Hugh+Letwon 

Great to hear. 

Another point as well, virgin media hub (3) seems to enable so simplistically the bridge mode of the router to utilise the use of a third party router - thus acting like a modem for the router to project the signal a lot easier.

I see a lot of Amazon reviews buying routers where those virgin media hubs are swapped out for ASUS routers.

I don't really understand why sky make it so hard and don't have a bridge mode feature - would reduce the need for sky boosters and extenders really... would save a lot of wasted equipment by sky 

Sky Glass 65”
Sky Fibre Gigafast Plus
This message was authored by rachey31 This message was authored by: rachey31

I have had Sky a week and already had to buy an extended which is ridiculous (3 bed house). The router is APALLING. It constantly drops. What can I do to resolve it?

Hugh+Letwon
Topic Author

Ours was openreach issue in the end but use a deco now for better coverage 

This message was authored by GoodCook This message was authored by: GoodCook

Did you get this sorted? Ours constantly drops signal even though the lights stay lit

and I have also had to buy extenders because the signal drops to next to nothing in all other rooms.

We live in a bungalow

Hugh+Letwon
Topic Author

It was an openreach issue, they changed the port and cleaned the connectors.   

DECO system works seamlessly around the house rather than the previous extenders. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion