Discussion topic: Intermittent and wildly fluctuating broadband speed

Goldwheels
Topic Author
This message was authored by Goldwheels This message was authored by: Goldwheels

Re: Intermittent and wildly fluctuating broadband speed

I think the problem is our wifi.

Our hub has to go in a cupboard with other electronic devices as that's where our open reach box is. 

Will a booster help do we think?

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Goldwheels 

Your issue is almost certainly WiFi. Putting the router in a cupboard is a really good way to kill your WiFi signal and a booster wont help the situation because it still relies on the signal coming from the hub. Ideally you need to move the hub out of the cupboard and into an open space

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
Goldwheels
Topic Author
This message was authored by Goldwheels This message was authored by: Goldwheels

I've posted my hub stats, does anyone have an idea of whether they look good?? 

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@Goldwheels 

With fttp the speed from the ont modem isn't carried over to the hub stats. But what we can see is the 2.4 and 5ghz radios packed up at the same time whilst your hub remained up and connected to the internet for longer. 

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@Goldwheels 

"Our hub has to go in a cupboard with other electronic devices"

What other electronic devices? 2.4ghz tends to be more prone to interference from other networks and household appliances. Can you get a longer length of gigabit ethernet to allow you to place the hub further away from whatever electronic devices are in there?

Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

Goldwheels
Topic Author

The electric meter. 

The hub for our central heating, which needs to plug into the sky hub.

Our phone base station, which has to plug into the open reach box in the same cupboard.

We could move the sky hub out of the cupboard, but we then would have to run the ethernet cable from the open reach box in the said cupboard to the sky hub. This would mean drilling holes in walls and running the ethernet round all the architraves and through at least 2 door frames. My neighbour has exactly the same set up as us, he runs his in the cupboard but pays for more speed and doesn't seem to have any problem? Dunno what to do really. 

@Goldwheels 

"Our phone base station, which has to plug into the open reach box in the same cupboard."

Plugged into the ont or the back of the sky hub?

Goldwheels
Topic Author

I've turned the phone base station and the central heating hub both off, and the WiFi still fluctuates.

@Goldwheels 

@jamesn123 

@Highlinder 

@JPR007 

Do you think an ont relocation would help and are ont relocations officially supported on skys booking system?

Vague memories of a CM stating that only Sogea and sogfast couldn't be relocated

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@Goldwheels 

You can switch of the devices all you like, it likely wont help because your issue is the hub being in a cupboard where the WiFi signals will be disrupted.

@cookiemonsteruk 

I dont believe it is an option

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
This message was authored by Highlinder This message was authored by: Highlinder

@cookiemonsterukI don't think it is an option. My master socket is about to go as I am getting ultrafast 1 in on the 6th of June, having an ONT fitted. I am already on Sogea so no real change for me.

If someone has helped give them Like.

If you have found this solution helpful please tick this as the answer.
This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3

@Goldwheels 

Even if you moved the ONT & wireless router one still needs to run ethernet cables back to the cupboard, so best to start drilling if you wish to improve the performance of wireless for the ethernet cables. You will need to run 2 ethernet cables one for the ONT to the router and one back to the cupboard, and I suggest you use the flat ethernet cables as these are tidy. And you need a twisted pair for the phone base station to run between the router and it.

-------

Zen internet on G.fast (250Mbps down, 50Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.
Goldwheels
Topic Author

Thanks very much for all your patience and help everyone. 

This message was authored by Dido9 This message was authored by: Dido9

Hi,

Apologies for jumping in on this chat. I have recently upgraded to Superfast 35 and have noticed that on Internet speed tests my mbps fluctuates wildly from 37 down to 11 and anywhere in between. The thing is I run one test and it's high then the very next test ran straight after is always low, and it runs like that all the time. Is this normal or is it just for the reason that you have stated above ( running test on wifi)?..I've been running the tests on the Fing app.

Grateful for your help, thanks in advance and sorry, again to just jump in on this, it seemed to make more sense to just ask you after reading that. The fluctuations are extreme, are they not? Is it inaccurate?

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@Dido9 if you run speed tests over wifi you are often in practice just testing thecwifi link which can often fluctuate. You can check the actual connection speed of the hub by running the connection test in the My Sky app.

Your wifi speeds can fluctuate for various reason firstly because another of your devices is using bandwidth so only run tests with one device connected. Many modern devices still use bandwidth when not in use to update etc. Second reason is wifi is subject to interference which can come from your neighbours' networks or your own electrical kit.

To get a reliable speed test it needs to be run with only one device connected by an ethernet cable which is always going to be faster than your external bandwidth.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion