Discussion topic: Installation Process

This message was authored by SteveF38 This message was authored by: SteveF38

Installation Process

I'm currently with vigrin (Full Fibre) which is coming to an end in October.  I'm wondering, will sky have to reinstall cables into my property, or will they use the existing cables? 

For background, Virgin caused over £7k of damage when they installed, so i'm sure you can understand why i'm apprehensive.

Thanks

Steve

All Replies

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Re: Installation Process

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@SteveF38 

Yes, Sky use Openreach/EIR lines, not Virgins. So if Full fibre via Openreach/EIR has not previously been installed to your home you'll have to have fresh cabling brought in. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: Installation Process

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@SteveF38 

As @jamesn123 indicates, a typical Virgin connection is their own private coaxial cable which no other ISP can use and is the wrong bearer for any Openreach service anyway: that's either a copper phone pair or an optical fibre.  Even where Virgin has laid optical cable (a very small percentage of their network) it's still only them that uses it.

For Sky broadband provisioned over Openreach full fibre there has to be an Openreach optical cable brought to the address in-duct or overhead, a small plastic CSP box attached to an external wall, and then a fibre pigtail drilled through into the property to reach the Openreach ONT ('fibre modem')

https://www.openreach.com/help-and-support/full-fibre-broadband-installation-checklist 

For ADSL/FTTC/G.fast there has to be a traditional copper 'phone' cable and a master socket faceplate.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion